Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have likely already seen this YouTube video, obviously made in the U.K. which shows a ForTwo crashing into a big Mercedes, then a concrete barrier at 70 MPH. The car holds up surprisingly well compared to another, larger subcompact car, although there are caveats concerning the occupants of both cars. Still, it's amazing how well the Smart holds up, though it's painful to watch. Check it out if you haven't already.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Just keep in mind, the human body CAN NOT hold up the the g-forces of a 70 - 0 mph crash no matter WHAT you drive :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true enough, at least of compacts and subcompacts. In larger cars, it may be survivable depending on crash ratings and safety equipment but then you trade off fuel economy. My 2100 lb '85 Renault Encore would've been pancaked like an accordian by such a crash, at least the ForTwo held its basic shape. I lament, however, that any occupants likely wouldn't make it but the likelihood of being in such a crash isn't that high. The vast majority of potential crash scenarios would involve lower speeds and less direct forward impacts.

·
Super Moderator
28,699 Posts
For reference, we just had an entire family killed here in a crash estimated at over 90 mph into a section of Hurricane fencing. Pontiac Grand Prix, nobody belted in, cabin area demolished. Even in a smart, the chances of surviving something similar are slim to none. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I was about to mention that NCC1701 - Hurricane & Ohio just don't go together in the same sentence. :)

Entire family lost? Didn't belt in? I know it sounds mean, but cleansing the gene pool.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At least in a smart you would be able to have an open casket funeral. With that amount of force the airbag and seatbelt can only do so much to lower the g's your body experiances. And I agree with the cleansing the gene pool thing, Darwinism at its best.

That show tries so hard to be like Top Gear. That is not even a good test. One car is left hand drive, the other right hand; one has airbags, the other no; the only thing they have in common is color and I don't think that affects the test.

·
Super Moderator
28,699 Posts
I was about to mention that NCC1701 - Hurricane & Ohio just don't go together in the same sentence. :)

Entire family lost? Didn't belt in? I know it sounds mean, but cleansing the gene pool.
Yeah, chain link. Seatbelts or not, nobody would have made it out alive; still someone's already griping about the article in the local paper - the reporter implied they should have been belted in. The angry reader's point - since they would have died anyway wearing seatbelts is not an issue. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just keep in mind, the human body CAN NOT hold up the the g-forces of a 70 - 0 mph crash no matter WHAT you drive :(

really? it seems race cars are crashing at speeds over 70mph routinely.
trains and planes too.
a crash is a complex event with many variables. it is difficult to ascribe broad generalities about survivability, what will happen to the vehicle(s) involved, etc. every crash is different.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
......agree with rawlusa...a friend of mine went from 60 to 0 in the time that it takes a crazy priest to blink, and he told me all about ...and yes, it's true, drunks will survive almost anything...
...seat belts will save your a$$.( if the Man upstairs wants to)...

jetfuel

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Yeah, chain link. Seatbelts or not, nobody would have made it out alive; still someone's already griping about the article in the local paper - the reporter implied they should have been belted in. The angry reader's point - since they would have died anyway wearing seatbelts is not an issue. :rolleyes:
Wow, for chain link fence to do that - sounds like very excessive speed was involved. I've got military grade chain link I've been buying little by little and I'm hoping the speeding vehicles go ahead and hit it once I get it all up (non-street legal vehicles - ATV's).

Our paper has the same stupid online comments - thankfully non have been aimed at a Smart in a crash yet though when the Smart was first released there were a few "Spout Offs" about them and how we (the owners) were sure of a sudden and instantaneous death if we bump into a curb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts