Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Braddman recently posted a nice DIY about upgrading to HID. There is no question HIDs are the best technology available today for our headlights and it is a pity that smart does not offer HIDs as an option.

As for myself, I tested a cheaper, easier modification: replacing the smart H7 bulbs with OSRAM Rallye 65W Ultra High Output 2100 lumens bulbs vs. 1400 lumens for an ordinary H7.

Stock cutoff and pattern are maintained of course.

Bulbs are $25 to 30 each and the modification took me less than 5 minutes.

I took the smart for a quick drive through the neighborhood tonight and the difference is real: the illumination is whiter and more intense.

A last note of warning: those bulbs are not DOT approved. However, they do not cause any glare as the filament is exactly where it is suposed to be.

I shall try to post more relevant pictures (night time driving) in the coming days.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Braddman recently posted a nice DIY about upgrading to HID. There is no question HIDs are the best technology available today for our headlights and it is a pity that smart does not offer HIDs as an option.

As for myself, I tested a cheaper, easier modification: replacing the smart H7 bulbs with OSRAM Rallye 65W Ultra High Output 2100 lumens bulbs vs. 1400 lumens for an ordinary H7.

Stock cutoff and pattern is maintained of course.

Bulbs are $25 to 30 each and the modification took me less than 5 minutes.

I took the smart for a quick drive through the neighborhood tonight and the difference is real: the illumination is whiter and more intense.

A last note of warning: those bulbs are not DOT approved. However, they do not cause any glare as the filament is exactly where it is suposed to be.

I shall try to post more relevant pictures (night time driving) in the coming days.
65Ws:eek:
I would hate to drive in front of you at night.:nono:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you put them in as your high beams also?
I wanted to test those bulbs first. Give me a couple more nights and if I am satisfied, I sure will put them in my highbeams too.

Does anyone know whether there is an optima battery for the smarts?

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
I wanted to test those bulbs first. Give me a couple more nights and if I am satisfied, I sure will put them in my highbeams too.

Does anyone know whether there is an optima battery for the smarts?

odyssey makes a much nicer battery and it is half the size of an optima and has double the output and is cheaper

here is the number Odyssey Battery PC925 we currently have one in a turbo is 300 and in a 454 chevy no starting problems

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
If they are not DOT, then how do you even get them? What would they normally be used for then?
"For off Road Use Only" AKA "Rallye"

This is the way most aftermarket lights are sold

Osram Sylvania Silverstars are 100% Legal .

Q) Are SilverStar® and SilverStar® ULTRA available for all vehicles?
A) SilverStar® and SilverStar® ULTRA bulbs are available as replacement upgrades for most halogen-equipped vehicles on the road. We continue to add new products to our SilverStar® ULTRA line including our new SilverStar® ULTRA 9003/HB2 and H7 model bulbs. Check with your automotive retailer, or call our customer service number at 800) 347-3420 to check availability for your vehicle type. For more information check out our Lamp Replacement Guide

Here is the AutoBarn Link for product code SYLH7SU
Sylvania H7 SilverStar Ultra Twin Pack

Only one problem, Sylvania doesnt have the smart listed on there list of cars so you are still using them at your own risk untill they update there site.

and that is all I will say on the subject so I don't make more people mad at me.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
They are for off road lighting. Also they could melt the wire connector. you might want to get a high heat connector to pig tail the factory wire with.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Glad you found something you like, if they arn't DOT doesn't that make them illegal and ticketable?

Those results above are incredible!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
They are for off road lighting. Also they could melt the wire connector. you might want to get a high heat connector to pig tail the factory wire with.
Frankly, for 65 vs, 55 Watts, I do not think so, but you do have a point.

Glad you found something you like, if they arn't DOT doesn't that make them illegal and ticketable?
Technically, they are illegal only if you get caught. Ok, it's a joke: they are not legal, period, but they fit perfectly the optic and they do not glare nor blind nor whatever, and 2100 lumens vs. 1400...

Now, like Forest suggest above, the "Osram Sylvania Silverstars are 100% Legal", cost also $50 and are better than the stock bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
street legal

If they are not DOT, then how do you even get them? What would they normally be used for then?
Frankly, for 65 vs, 55 Watts, I do not think so, but you do have a point.

Technically, they are illegal only if you get caught. Ok, it's a joke: they are not legal, period, but they fit perfectly the optic and they do not glare nor blind nor whatever, and 2100 lumens vs. 1400...

Now, like Forest suggest above, the "Osram Sylvania Silverstars are 100% Legal", cost also $50 and are better than the stock bulbs.
FWIW, the Auto Barn web site says (emphasis added):

Product Features

• [*]Package of 2 bulbs
    [*]Long Lasting Performance
    [*]Exact Fit Replacement of original lamp
    [*]Superior Light Emmission for Safety and Driving Ease
    [*]Street Legal in all fifty states

·
Registered
707 Posts
It is a H9 bulb on a H7 Base!!

Sounds good to me. See No problems!! But like all things, someone won't like it, so don't use it!!! Not for all, My .02 p1nball Here's the Skinny on it:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" vAlign=top rowSpan=4>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[ document.write('
View Full-Size Image
'); //]]></SCRIPT>
View Full-Size Image
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

View More Images (2)

</TD><TD colSpan=2>Osram / Sylvania Hyper - 65W - H7 Bulb

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[ document.write('( Other )'); //]]></SCRIPT>( Other ) <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="33%">Price per Unit (piece): $24.95

</TD><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR style="FONT-STYLE: normal"><TD colSpan=2><HR>65W Osram Ultra High Output 2100 lumen, H9 burner on H7 base.

If you are looking to get more lighing out of your stock headlamps these are the bulbs you want!

These bulbs put out approx. 110% more light than the standard 55W H7 halogen bulbs and can still be used with stock wiring.

The UV Block glass these are made with will not yellow plastic headlights. These are the same as supplied to Hella (Made in Germany) and are the brightest bulb there is next to real HID Xenon lamps.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Availability

In Stock: 10

Usually ships in:

</TD><TD colSpan=2>
<FORM id=addtocart name=addtocart action=http://www.cyclenutz.com/index.php method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=157 name=product_id> <LABEL style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" for=quantity>Quantity:</LABEL> <INPUT class=inputbox id=quantity style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" size=4 value=1 name=quantity> <INPUT class=addtocart title="Add to Cart" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%" target="_blank" add-to-cart_orange.gif? ps_image shop_image com_virtuemart components Home - Cyclenutz.com http:>http://www.cyclenutz.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/ps_image/add-to-cart_orange.gif) no-repeat left center; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 160px; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 35px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" type=submit value="Add to Cart">
<INPUT type=hidden value=shop.flypage name=flypage> <INPUT type=hidden value=shop.cart name=page> <INPUT type=hidden value=3 name=manufacturer_id> <INPUT type=hidden value=30 name=category_id> <INPUT type=hidden value=cartAdd name=func> <INPUT type=hidden value=com_virtuemart name=option> <INPUT type=hidden value=82 name=Itemid></FORM>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><HR>Customer Reviews:

Douglas Hippe (Wednesday, 14 November 2007)
Rating:

Bought a pair of these bad-boys for my R12GS. Light output is rna major improvement over stock bulbs. Well worth the cost for a pair!

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
brighter is not always better

A lot of effort goes into the designing of Optics. The Germans have some of the best optical engineers in the world. There are two paths they can take to making the best headlamp assembly,

1. Start with an existing lamp, filament, base combination and build the optimum optics around it.
2. Design the best lamp, filament location, base to optimize your reflector/lens design and convince someone to mass produce the lamp for you.

Either way the location and size of the filament within the reflector is very important in the efficiency of the headlight design.

<O:pWithout knowing the specifics of the design of these lamps I can only through out some generalizations here.

<O:pLets say you stick in a lamp that is 30% higher initial lumens than the original lamp, but if the filament is in the wrong position or a different size you will not get the same photometrics coming out of the fixture and therefore not 30% more usable light. You may still get the same cut off point but you will also be generating light that just gets wasted<O:p.

Also, when you have a car like the smart that has a tendency to have a bumpy ride (as some claim) you will have a tendency to flash you lights at on coming traffic. By this I mean you will bounce that all important cut off line up higher when the car hits a bump, thus flashing your lights in the eyes of other drivers. Many pickups do this to me all the time when I approach them because of there stiffer ride

If you alter the low beams you have no control over what you are doing to oncoming traffic. If you decide you need more light so you can see that deer coming out of the field then why not mess with your high beams. At least then you won’t have these lamps with altered photometrics shining in anyone else’s eyes.

Since I have been studying light for the past 25 years this is going to cost you 4 cents, Hey I need all the money I can get for these rising gas prices

1 - 20 of 31 Posts