Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when starting off in Drive it seems it does not want to shift out of first gear. I sometimes have to push the shifter to the left then back into drive then it works fine. I don't think there is anything mechanically wrong. I'm curious is this a normal thing due to the nature of the small 3 cylinder and the natural way this transmission shifts. It revs high and does not want to come out of first in drive once in a while. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
With everything normal, the heaviness of your foot on the pedal will delay the up shift as well as going up an incline.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Thats Normal... Easy on the peddle until it grabs 1st gear, and then really dig into that peddle...
The Smart has the reputation of having the Worst Shifting Transmission in the known Universe... But, I guess you already new that...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Are you going up an incline at the same time? Lessen the pressure on the gas and it will upshift, or use the paddle shifter (if you have them) or do the stick thing that you are doing now. The car has an incline sensor and will not want to shift out of it's power advantage prematurely if going up a hill, though some times it carries it a bit too far. The reverse is true too: There is a drive way that I turn off the main road onto, that has a steep incline. I turn the corner, and am in second gear. I am fine IF I force a downshift into second. IF I don't force it, the car tries to go up this steep incline at too low a speed in second.... OY VEY! These cars can be a little stubborn. IF they could see it coming...., but that is where you come in. You CAN see it coming, so you can help it out a little and force the down shifts, or up shifts as you see fit. It is part of what makes these little cars so much fun. YOU stay involved in the driving process.
It is more like a video game to keep the car in the HAPPY ZONE of performance. Those of us who buy into the fun, like the car. Those who want it to be a mind numbing automatic with a big engine, just DON"T get it, and don't like the little car that can be a blast to drive.
Remember, you can signal an upshift if you LIGHTEN your foot on the gas. Don't slow the car, but lighten the gas to just maintain speed, and the car will upshift. Back off the gas to stop accelerating and MAINTAIN speed and it will shift. It takes a little getting used to but is fun when you get the hang of it, and learn to signal with your right foot. Practice on level ground first, as it is reluctant to give up its' power advantage when going up a hill.
I use the paddles to double downshift from fifth into third when I KNOW fourth won't be enough to sprint away when know I will need it. I love my paddle shifters. :D

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
In cold weather the programming does not let the car shift from 1st to 2nd below about 3k rpm, keeps from lugging a cold engine.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Experimentation. Driving across the parking lot at my work in the winter, regardless of home many times you request a gear change from 1st to 2nd when the engine is cold it will not shift up until about 3k rpm. Perform the same action in the summer months or with a warm engine and you can shift up at something over 2k rpm. Part of the shift table criteria in the ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts