Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me a break! How greedy can these govt officials get when they probably still way more than just 5 cents? check this story:
Yahoo!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This story has already been posted multiple times on the site.
So?:confused: I did not see it here on the Electric Forum. I think is very relevant for us, that have electric cars and have to charge them on places other than our homes.:)
But, thank you for taking the time to tell me so. I just want to see some comments about it to learn about situations like this one.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hadn't seen the story before.
Bottom line is, it is no different than stealing gas, just a different scale to the economy.

If you are "running on empty", ask permission.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
This story was in the EV section yesterday.

If you did not know already that stealing was wrong ...

If you are thinking about posting day old stories on this site, 99% of the time someone has beaten you too it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bottom line is, it is no different than stealing gas, just a different scale to the economy.

If you are "running on empty", ask permission.
I don’t think that it is necessary stealing. There are many public places that have electric outlets just for charging
or any other guest use and you don’t have to ask permission from the owner.
In the case of this school they should have a sign staying that the outlet is for employees use only.
In all the cases the guy should have had just warning only.

I don’t think is the same as taking gas from a gas station, though

A) We all know we have to pay vs. a public electric outlet no one pays.
B) Gas pumps are locked vs. public electric outlets are open.
C) The guy did not break into anything vs. Gas pumps you have to break in or use lethal force

And if the school official gave it perimission to charge his car, was he authorized to grant him permission?

In the video the guy seem as if he was paying out of his pocket. What an aholeee.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope the multi-billion dollar power company can recoup from their 5 cent loss.
What about when you start charging your electric car directly from the sun? I bet a cop is going to put you in jail for taking sun energy within USA territory.:D
Ah, and one did not have the proper documentation.:)

After all, what is not yours, is not for you to take!
Give me a fkingg break!

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Actually, if the man's son attended school there, and he was a tax paying citizen, wouldn't he be in fact be the one paying for the school's utilities, thus making him stealing from himself?? If the schools operating costs go up, doesn't that affect his local taxes??

Electricity (AC electricity anyhow) can not be stored for later use. if the power is not used, it simply gets used elsewhere. If the outlet was mistakenly left on, that's one thing but if it was always on, then that is kind of like leaving a pail of water out in front of your house. Can you arrest the dog who takes a drink??

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, if the man's son attended school there, and he was a tax paying citizen, wouldn't he be in fact be the one paying for the school's utilities, thus making him stealing from himself?? If the schools operating costs go up, doesn't that affect his local taxes??
Businesses and Govt pay a flat rate for electricity. And specially govt, get lots of breaks and freebies that businesses just dream about. Believe me, it's not costing more to the school for charging even 20 more cars from 0 - 100%:D much less 5 cents than this guy "stole" from this school.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It will be an interesting case if it ever makes it to trial. Sounds like he has been charged under an inappropriate law - one designed to keep people from stealing power from the grid. That's a very serious charge. At best (worst?) he should have been charged with petty theft. The piece doesn't say whether the school laid a complaint. I would imagine they would have to in order to get a petty theft warrant. They are the 'owners' of the item he 'stole'. Looks to me this is a case of a red necked police dept and a nosey neighbor.

It will be interesting to see however if an open plug without signage will be considered an invitation to use. Is a student who charges his phone at school open to a charge of theft of electricity? By that logic of that sergeant he would be. Sadly, the resolution of this case will probably never be published at a (inter)national level.

·
17,349 Posts
Very different, his 20 minute charge was a calculated 5 cents of energy from an outdoor 110v outlet. Five cents of energy from a school his child attends and his tax dollars funds.

You probably waste more energy charging a laptop for an hour at your local Starbucks or McDonalds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Businesses and Govt pay a flat rate for electricity. And specially govt, get lots of breaks and freebies that businesses just dream about. Believe me, it's not costing more to the school for charging even 20 more cars from 0 - 100%:D much less 5 cents than this guy "stole" from this school.
Things must be different in Cali than in my part of the world. Up here schools and govt pay for power by the kilowatt hour just like anyone else. Combined buying power gets them access to volume discounts but they are still paying for usage. Energy conservation is a big thing in our schools and school boards are doing significant investment to reduce consumption. I would (make that I will!) encourage our schools to make power available - it is just good PR to do so. A bit of greenwashing perhaps but it fits a story that a lot of boards are trying to sell.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will be an interesting case if it ever makes it to trial. Sounds like he has been charged under an inappropriate law - one designed to keep people from stealing power from the grid. That's a very serious charge. At best (worst?) he should have been charged with petty theft. The piece doesn't say whether the school laid a complaint. I would imagine they would have to in order to get a petty theft warrant. They are the 'owners' of the item he 'stole'. Looks to me this is a case of a red necked police dept and a nosey neighbor.

It will be interesting to see however if an open plug without signage will be considered an invitation to use. Is a student who charges his phone at school open to a charge of theft of electricity? By that logic of that sergeant he would be. Sadly, the resolution of this case will probably never be published at a (inter)national level.
Bottom line, there is not violation of any law. The guy charging his car could say that he did not know (This is what I believe). If there is no sign or any prohibition in the area and if I were him, I'd hire a good attorney and take this cop for all he has, the school and the city. A stealing accusation has to be taken very seriously.

·
17,349 Posts
Indeed, hooking up stuff to your neighbor's house is one thing, but to a public place like a park or a school? I'm not so sure about that...

It costs more money to arrest the guy than what he supposedly "stole". It's just as stupid as arresting someone for getting an extra gumball out of a 25 cent gumball machine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Things must be different in Cali than in my part of the world. Up here schools and govt pay for power by the kilowatt hour just like anyone else. Combined buying power gets them access to volume discounts but they are still paying for usage. Energy conservation is a big thing in our schools and school boards are doing significant investment to reduce consumption. I would (make that I will!) encourage our schools to make power available - it is just good PR to do so. A bit of greenwashing perhaps but it fits a story that a lot of boards are trying to sell.
Well, I can understand that, but, let me tell you this: If I know that you were driving on your EV by my house and I notice that you were left without charge I'd hand you a heavy duty 12AWG power extension cord for you to charge your car. If you were charging on my store without asking permission it will be OK with me. I rather have one less polluting car in my city than worring about a few less Kwh of electricity in my house.
Anybody can see it as stealing but I see it as putting in jail someone who is cleaning or helping the environment:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's my take on this issue.
I was always taught if it isn't yours don't touch it or take it.
If it's not yours and you take it it's stealing! Doesn't matter if it's big or small expensive or not. Doesn't matter if there's a specific law or not, it's stealing.
Because it's a school or anything to do with the government is irrelevant.
So think about it this way if there was a can of gas sitting somewhere and a person "just needed" some gas would it be ok to take it?
Better yet maybe the next time I go to the gas station I just "take" 5 cents worth of gas.
I do agree it's stupid and a waste of money to prosecute but where do ya draw the line?

·
17,349 Posts
Yeah, but that's a sweeping generalization.

You're basically saying that plugging in your phone or computer at your local Mcdonald's or Starbucks is theft.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, but that's a sweeping generalization.

You're basically saying that plugging in your phone or computer at your local Mcdonald's or Starbucks is theft.
Yes but they tell you to steal it! :wink:

As far as I'm concerned these billion dollar companies create this type of predicament themselves. People get blamed for doing something such as stealing food or energy in this case & they get blamed? This economic model perpetuates scarcity for the need of profit. Profit that doesn't relate to the natural order of the planet mind you. It's a broad subject but 5 cents by a few million people still wouldn't bankrupt these corporatocracies. They make $50,000+ an hour. They'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts