Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's a tricky thing with LED bulbs. I, too, want to modify the rear grommets to feed the wires for the LED bulbs i have (and also don't have installed) through. But for venting... i'm not sure if that's really the BEST idea. Yes, keeping LED's cool is a concern. But you'd be regretting it in the colder months. For the short time i had mine installed to test them, at one point i had to drive during a snowstorm. When i was getting closer to home, i noticed visibility was decreasing. When i got home, i realized that was because there was snow and ice building up on the headlight lens.

Halogen bulbs get incredibly hot, but the radiant heat of the light itself rapidly melts any frozen things that may cling to the lens. LED's don't really project a lot of heat compared to a halogen. Not saying they DON'T project heat... it's just not nearly as noticeable. A flashlight with a high lumen output, for example, can feel like it's going to burn your hand if your hand is close enough. But they also tend to have multiple LED's with a reflector focusing the beam they create into a fairly small spot.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, aside from needing to modify the dust cap to feed the wires through, the OTHER reason i'm not currently using the LED bulbs i have is because they're one of those with the metal ring that can be turned after loosening two screws to adjust the beam pattern. The downside is that those two screws are EXACTLY where the metal clip holds the bulb in place. Actually had to use a small flat-nosed pliers to get enough grip on the top part of the clip to be able to get enough leverage to get the bulbs out when i took them out of the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.