Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is embarrassing.

I ran out of gas for the first time in my life. In my smart! But I learned that the digital countdown of the last gallon is incredibly accurate.

Somehow I didn’t notice the gauge until it was reading 0.1 gallons. I immediately headed for the nearest station. The reading went to 0.0 gallons. The car sputtered to a stop about a hundred yards later.

It took 8.7 gallons to fill the tank.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Now you know!

Different cars, different results. I can go a little more than 20 miles past 0.0g.

An audible alert (set to the desired remaining fuel) sure would be nice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always use the automatic shutoff

Yep, it looks like its 8.7 gallons +- .3 I bet depends if you put gas in the filler neck.
I always use the automatic shut off. I think the smart owners manual has a caution against "packing" the tank. Plus it probably defeats the vapor capture gizmo on modern gas pumps.

Having said that, I agree about plus/minus .3 or so. Depends on the slope of the concrete pad in the gas station. Likewise, your range when you hit that dreaded 0.0 gallons is probably affected by the slope of the road. Florida, of course, is flat as a pool table...

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
I can go about 10 miles on 0.0 also. Also it really depends on the pumps they are not all calibrated the same

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I can go about 10 miles on 0.0 also. Also it really depends on the pumps they are not all calibrated the same
Exactly, the pumps on the ends tend to click earlier for me as their sensors are worn out. I never top off, unless I suspect an early click. ( I have done this twice, thus with the gauge 7/8 and It needed over a gallon more) Basically I figured out my mileage couldn't be 60mpg. :)

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
It's a 10 gallon tank of 8.72 + 1.32 gallon reserve. I've filled up to 8.9 gallons of gas before when my ScanGauge II said I still had a gallon left. I've called smart usa and they confirmed it's a 10 gallon tank. I find it silly after all this time there is so much disinformation. There is a 8.72 including 1.32 reserve, including as in addition too.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
You should know better than to state fact about this issue, fpage77! It will never be resolved because some can fill to nearly 10 gallons and some can never get past 8.7 gallons. It's part of your car's personality as far as how much gas you can get into it.

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
You should know better than to state fact about this issue, fpage77! It will never be resolved because some can fill to nearly 10 gallons and some can never get past 8.7 gallons. It's part of your car's personality as far as how much gas you can get into it.
When I called smartusa at their toll free number they put me on hold an came back and said it was 10 gallons. I think that would seal the deal when the manufacturers toll free number agent says it's 10 gallons.

..... if the 800 number is wrong then who at smart that actually knows this information .... do we have to get hold of the engineers who designed the fuel system to get a right answer.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I reached 0.0 a couple days ago. It hit 0.0 about a block after I left home, and the nearest gas station was 3.5 miles away. Made it there without a sputter, and I'm 99% sure the car would have made maybe 5 or so miles more. Funny part is when I filled up -- the gas pump receipt says 8.3 gallons! Go figure!

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
... if the 800 number is wrong then who at smart that actually knows this information ...
The 800 number folks were interpreting just like the rest of us. Like any good American when they're asked a question, they provide an answer.

I have the feeling that even if we spoke with the engineers who designed the tank and the nozzle we still wouldn't have an answer because too many people would run out of gas or be able to get more in than the engineers calculated.

Because the tank is flat, I wonder if we end up with air trapped on the top of the tank that doesn't escape up the filler tube. That displacement could be enough to seriously mess with the values.

My last fill up which should have been close to dry (I drained my tank at my Smart Center to figure out how much is left after 0.1g so I have a decent idea) was 8.660g. Yet there was a stressed call to that same Smart Center from someone who ran out of gas before the 0.0g reading and pumped in close to 10g.

Personality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
extremly low fuel may allow the fuel pump to overheat and fail,as the pump is in the gas tank. I think I am correct.

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
John_h anything is possible but I hope when I top off my tank it really is topped off so my MPG are accurate. I know that different pumps at different stations and temp of fuel will screw with how much gas I'm getting but I don't need a third thing (air) to throw me off even more. I know after a while the odd pump readings and such would average out but the whole air in the tank could throw a wrinkle in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was down to .5 gal on the gage and put 8.7 in the tank. These gages just aren't dependably accurate, and I'll always play it safe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's a 10 gallon tank of 8.72 + 1.32 gallon reserve. I've filled up to 8.9 gallons of gas before when my ScanGauge II said I still had a gallon left. I've called smart usa and they confirmed it's a 10 gallon tank. I find it silly after all this time there is so much disinformation. There is a 8.72 including 1.32 reserve, including as in addition too.

I specifically asked regarding this at my dealership and was told that one of their technicians messed with a car and his determination was that it was 8.7 gallons total counting the reserve. I have been down to .5, and managed to get 8.3 gallons in before. I think that the plastic tanks (I believe I read that's what they are) are more susceptible to deformation leading to changing valuable based on a number of factors.

On a side note, I will NEVER fill up beyond the click off, especially at a station I don't visit regularly. I did this ONE TIME in my Hyundai Accent and immediately messed up the evap canister which made it difficult to fill up the car until I fixed it. The canister has carbon in it, and overfilling it flooded the can, which in turn caused the gas to eat the foam pad that kept the carbon out of the lines. With the pad gone, carbon floated into the vent lines, packing them, and making the air being forced out of the tank go into the gas hose, thus turning off the pump every .1 gallons that went in... HUGE pain, and a new can was $400+. I rebuilt mine with activated carbon for an aquarium and canvas instead of a foam pad, but it was a huge pain.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I was down to .5 gal on the gage and put 8.7 in the tank. These gages just aren't dependably accurate, and I'll always play it safe.

Ding Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner

Fill your tank and it reads 7/8
Drive for 50 miles and now its full
hit the 100 mark and its back to 7/8
add another 100 miles over the next 3/8 to 1/2 full at 200 miles
Get to 275 miles and your at 1/4 tank
Drive another 25 miles and suddenly at 300 your at 1/8

How can we expect it to be acurate for the last gallon? Have you seen the shape of this tank, you talking about less than an inch for that last gallon .

See Pages 163 & 166 For picture of fuel tank shape and location
https://portal.aftersales.i.daimler.com/public/content/asportal/download_library/info-center/infoirmationen_fuer/rlf_pkw150609_de_low.parsys.80824.Source.tmp/RLF%20PKW%20150609%20en%20low.pdf

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.