Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a source for details on things like oil and air filters, coolant, etc? Some folks will be an hour or more away from a dealer and it would be nice to have these things on hand to handle routine maintenance at home. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
With the current 450 smart, filters are dealer only. There is an aftermarket spin on oil filter adapter that will accept several common filters and K&N and others sell foam washable air cleaners.

When the 451 hits North America hopefully there will be enough volume to interest the aftermarket industry here.

For me, I just buy a few extras when I'm at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
And a new drain plug too!

Early versions of Smart cars required the oil to be sucked out of the motor.

The 451 has a new spin on filter that I bet Fram/Napa/Wix and others will have a good cross reference to. Some of the Brit Smart sites show the various aftermarket air filter modifications...looks like the factory element will also be easy to find at AutoZone/Napa/etc..

May take a while, but I think other wear parts like clutch disk, brake pads/shoes, and shock absorbers will be readliy available before the initial usefull life is exceeded

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I’m sure that M-B Cars has learned their lesson and have brought in as many COTS wear items as possible and appropriate for the 451. One of the places where they lost their arse and mega-bucks was that so many things on the various 450 models (Marks) could not be sourced from, nor utilized by, any other vehicle in the various Daimler stables.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I was confused...I first read the post by you but didn't look at the date. I Thought maybe someone stole your account for a sec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts