Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;)Hey all....just spoke with smart rep at smartusa this morning and asked them a few of questions about confirmation numbers, configuration (or invite) call, and approximate dealivery time of vehicles....she said that the second configuration call or invite call will come over the next couple of months and is based on when you made your reservation...this being completely seperate from when you may actually get your smart...the delivery period of ones car basically depends on your geographic location (makes sense since she asked me for my zip code)...the delivery of your car will then depends on dealer inventory and the amount of reservations that are in your area....thougth yall might appreciate the tid-bit...

·
Super Moderator
29,461 Posts
;)the delivery of your car will then depends on dealer inventory and the amount of reservations that are in your area....thougth yall might appreciate the tid-bit...
Thanks for the info. :)

Not sure what she meant by dealer inventory; the ealy smarts are all pre-ordered so your car is built and delivered in based on where you are in the order line. The only dealer inventory will be the demonstrator cars; if somebody drops an order it should go to the next person on the list vs. a walk-in sale. At least that's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
There is just not enough info to even make an informed guess about any dealer allotment

It is safe to assume that PAG pre orderd a selection of colors and models for every one of the "Smart Centers"

It is safe to assume that real insiders on PAGs and IBs staff will get their cars first

From there, we have guessed that France probably can ship about 2000 per month to Baltimore MD and maybe southern Calif or a Seattle/Tacoma port

How those will be allocated or distributed seems to really depend on how many reservations there are for the remainder of the first 2000, and how those early March 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23rd "reservations"/"Comfirmations" are distributed accross the US

Once we see that all happen-- then we can probably make better SWAGs (scientific wild arsed guesses)

Of course Roger Pensky or the Schembri guy could just tell us... OH well silly me... THAT'S not gonna happen

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I think the inventory is dealer allotment, which should be based on the $99 reservations.
It is not. According to my call this morning with SmartUsa, the dealers are getting preset allocations. Depending on where your reservation number stand relative to other customers assigned to that dealer, will determine when you get your car.

For example, if you are number 10,000 in the total queue, but number 1 at your dealer in Fargo, ND (hypothetical), you'll get your car in January. If that same 10,000 position in NYC puts you at number 5000 for the dealer, 2009 may be a possibility.

If a given dealer has excess allocation, that allocation will be diverted to the high volume dealers. They will have agreed not to sell to someone off the street.

·
Registered
931 Posts
lhoboy is probably right on. I was told that each dealer would receive an allocation based on their business paln so they could make a profit. Obviously dealers in larger buyer concentrated areas will get their 30+ per month, with smaller centers getting less.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
"Going to the next person on the list, upon cancellation". would only work if everyone ordered exactly the same thing. If someone has an apple on order, they don't want an orange. The amount of phone polling, going down the list, is impractical. I'll bet the car in question will end up in the first person on 'Standby's drivrway.

Any suggestions ?

Donald LaFavor

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
My guy told me that it was a case of "first right of refusal." No, it probably wouldn't be what you ordered, but if you want it anyway (and forfeit your ordered car), you got one that much earlier. If you don't want it, then you just wait out your own, and the next guy down on the list gets a shot at it. Et. seq.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Not criticism, but everyone here is posting with personal vested interest (understandable).

Approach this situation from "Smart USA" and/or the dealer's position with the assumption of fairness AND practicality for ALL.

Now, what are your suggestions ? ?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
"Going to the next person on the list, upon cancellation". would only work if everyone ordered exactly the same thing. If someone has an apple on order, they don't want an orange. The amount of phone polling, going down the list, is impractical. I'll bet the car in question will end up in the first person on 'Standby's drivrway.

Any suggestions ?

Donald LaFavor
My understanding is, if someone cancels at the last moment, they go to the next person down until they find someone who can't wait for their exact configuration and is willing to settle for someone else's. If that person's car is already in the production cycle, the same thing will happen to it, otherwise that person's original configuration is deleted and everyone moves up a notch. Chances are, if somebody's car is in the production cycle already, they will not give it up for a faster delivery. Therefore, the original configuration of the person accepting an earlier delivery simply needs to be deleted from the system.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
What is the "Cleanest", in your terms?
Some examples of "not clean." Chrysler's PT Cruiser, did you see the dealer markup on those babys the first several months? Pontiac Fiero, Mazda Miata, Mini.

Clean (with hickups at least in initial pricing) iPhone. Most people got their phone at MSRP, a few tried to scalp phones. Apple messed up with the price cut, but they can crank out enough phones to meet the demand they are creating.

smart has carefully orchestrated the demand side to match potential production. That way they don't generate 100,000 orders for 25,000 cars by over marketing.

The greed was mostly at the dealerships. If I was CEO I'd do what Roger Penske is doing with the smart. No dealer markup, keep to the list.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
My understanding is, if someone cancels at the last moment, they go to the next person down until they find someone who can't wait for their exact configuration and is willing to settle for someone else's. If that person's car is already in the production cycle, the same thing will happen to it, otherwise that person's original configuration is deleted and everyone moves up a notch. Chances are, if somebody's car is in the production cycle already, they will not give it up for a faster delivery. Therefore, the original configuration of the person accepting an earlier delivery simply needs to be deleted from the system.
While not trying to put anyone down, it is obvious that the, wellmeaniing, posters have had no experience at the decision making level necessary for a situation of this magatude. I have!

Example; Upon cancellation by one person (Don't forget to multiply this by the number of dealers) just prior to possible delivery, the 7th or 9th or whatever person accepts said car. Now that person's car will, by default be going to someone who had to be called (Hope they were reachable) further down the list. Etc. Etc.

Because every car that arrives has someone's name on it but in many (remember the number of dealers) cases that person has already taken delivery. Look for a logistics 'Logjam' that has been created.

How many people never actually are driving the automobile with the options and color of their choice.

What size cadre of telephone personal would be required ?

How many people would be upset because they got the message "Sorry we missed you....". How long is the dealer supposed to hold each of these cars inquestion waiting for the 'Next' in line person to get back to them ?

How much space would the dealer need to store the 'Limbo' cars ?

Imagine a walk-in seeing these 'Limbo cars and the dealer saying, "These cars
are waiting for prospective buyers."

I could go on with 'Eleventy- seven " more points to consider ( That's what I did for many years).

This has not been meant to trivialize any thoughts, opinions or suggestions that have been given, it's what goes on in the real world. IE: One great suggestion..... Implications.......Extrapolation....... Perception by others....... Costs........Practicality.........Public satisfaction..........Net gain or loss.

All I'm trying to propose is, keep the discussion going, but try to keep the above in mind.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
While not trying to put anyone down, it is obvious that the, wellmeaniing, posters have had no experience at the decision making level necessary for a situation of this magatude. I have!

Example; Upon cancellation by one person (Don't forget to multiply this by the number of dealers) just prior to possible delivery, the 7th or 9th or whatever person accepts said car. Now that person's car will, by default be going to someone who had to be called (Hope they were reachable) further down the list. Etc. Etc.

Because every car that arrives has someone's name on it but in many (remember the number of dealers) cases that person has already taken delivery. Look for a logistics 'Logjam' that has been created.

How many people never actually are driving the automobile with the options and color of their choice.

What size cadre of telephone personal would be required ?

How many people would be upset because they got the message "Sorry we missed you....". How long is the dealer supposed to hold each of these cars inquestion waiting for the 'Next' in line person to get back to them ?

How much space would the dealer need to store the 'Limbo' cars ?

Imagine a walk-in seeing these 'Limbo cars and the dealer saying, "These cars
are waiting for prospective buyers."

I could go on with 'Eleventy- seven " more points to consider ( That's what I did for many years).

This has not been meant to trivialize any thoughts, opinions or suggestions that have been given, it's what goes on in the real world. IE: One great suggestion..... Implications.......Extrapolation....... Perception by others....... Costs........Practicality.........Public satisfaction..........Net gain or loss.

All I'm trying to propose is, keep the discussion going, but try to keep the above in mind.
First of all, if someone misses the call, they still have their very own customized Smart coming to them in the mail. If they were the next one in line that missed the call, the delivery of their order is just a few days behind.

Don't make this more complicated than it is. Based on decades of enterprise resource planning experience, this is not a difficult logistics issue to handle. One saleperson at each dealership could handle any given cancellation within minutes.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not that big a logjam when you consider that it is the dealer that will be doing the legwork. At most they will have 30 cars per month to place with buyers. If they are given a stock of panels, color choice can be worked out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It seems to me the basic configuration of the smart is very much standardized, same engine/trans, suspension etc. I would bet that the cars travel at least 3/4 the way up the line before there are any items (options) specific to a vehicle on it. But the time it reaches that point - the dealer & smart will have ensured you are going to own the vehicle or not. If you ordered a Silver/Red Passion - but back out and the next silver vehicle is a White Pure - on will go the doors with crank up windows, black roof, etc.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Ihoboy;
It's the 'Over-simplification' of problems that exacterbates problems.

Carnut;
Who is paying for the inventory of panels (Painted as well as base color)? Who is paying for the R & R of said panels?
Who is paying for the phone personel?

I don't see you or anyone else addressing the other points I brought up and I just touched the tip of the iceburg. I don't wonder why Penske or others do not address this forum.

Try to look at this from the exective decision maker's point of view.

I see the public's desires, rationalizations and lack of objectivity... Will not be clouded by real world facts nor practicality.

Remember, I'm not on anybody's side. I have a Smart so I have no vested interest. To me, 450 or 451, there all equal.

I'm retired, I'm just going to sit back and read the posts on this subject. When I potentialy start to get frustrated, I will just take my Smart for a therapeudic joy ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts