Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran my second can of ahh..B12 injector cleaner through my smart.
Now, no kidding, two things I've seen. One...the lean off bank one code that she threw is gone now. Two, the kind of surge that we all experience off 1st gear is almost non-existent now. I feel like one of those frigging testimonial people that I dislike and distrust so much.
But, it at least as of now, seems to be true. The disappearance of the code is not a subjective observation though. It's really gone.
I for one have thought of additives the same way as "Take this and you can eat whatever you want and lose weight" ads.
But go figure. The surge/lurch is pretty much gone as well.
Watch my future posts where I endorse holy cloths direct from TV evangelists that helped my bro-in-law with his bursitis. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I think that 1st gear surge you are feeling is the true power from the engine. I never understood it as a problem, but that was the full 71HP at around 3K to 4.5K rpm. If you got rid of that...then I thing you may have hurt rather than helped your engine. :eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Please discuss "true power" so as I can understand it better.
What I'v experienced as your true power is a sudden engagement that feels like it could be better. Even with understanding the nature of a clutchless transmission. At times the 1st gear engagement is a bit of a ...startling moment. (I'm being kind here). Actually it's a lurch to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I have always compared to the trans workings as a poorly shifted manual transmission or worked by an operator who is still learning...Smart does not recommend using any type of cleaner or fuel additive in their manuals. Some may actually do more harm than good.

I added the pedal mapping feature on my cruise control (AreA451 Cruise) and by using setting 7, I no longer have the hesitation at the gear shifts you mention. We have heard that some of the software updates also can help too.

If adding the cleaner erased an engine code, you may have had something clogged that the cleaner took care of.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
If it works for you, Use it!!!

Years ago my cousin drove up to a family wedding in an old ambulance delivery wagon (used for transporting donor organs for the hospital) and he was pushing it hard since he was late. After the wedding, he started it and it had a knock that sounded like a broken piston. We added a bottle of PB Blaster (similar to sea foam) and then flooded it out with the last bit of the can, waited 1/2 hour and after a LOT of smoke, it ran better than new! seems a chunk of carbon had broken off during the drive up and was hitting the top of the piston.

Gotta love those old 455 motors in the old station wagons. It went another 4 years before the rust got to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts