Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in hearing from other smart fortwo owners as to how many miles they were able to travel before they had to have the brake drums/pads replaced. I have a 2008 smart fortwo passion with just over 35K miles. Since the rear brakes are drums and the front brakes are pads I would assume the rear brakes would have to be replaced first....maybe not? I realize that a lot of this is based on driving style as well as highway/city driving. Not experiencing any problems at the moment but an idea of when I will have to deal with the brakes would be nice to know...Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Imagine it has a lot to do with how hard each driver is on the brakes. The front discs do most of the work on the smart so my guess is the rear shoes will outlive the front pads by quite a bit. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
On the smart, the fronts do about 90% of the work.

I am very easy on my brakes because I do a lot of highway driving, and very little stop & go, so I'm sure my situation is not normal, but I put about 80K on my front pads, and the rear drums are still the factory ones with 151K on them. I checked them last fall, and they still had plenty of pad left. I need to pull it in and check them again.:D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I changed my front brakes around 50,000 miles only because I wanted to go to a less dusty pad. I had plenty of pad left. I now have over 60,000 miles and my back brakes are still original.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I changed my front brakes around 50,000 miles only because I wanted to go to a less dusty pad. I had plenty of pad left. I now have over 60,000 miles and my back brakes are still original.
What pad did you go with on the front? I'm wanting to replace mine for the same reason, just not sure what the best product is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
At 70,000I had to replace pads and rotors (It had a throb in the pedal when I got it used) and the rear shoes are doing fine.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
We replaced the front pads on my yellow smart before we moved because the dealer said they were getting thin. When he replaced them Jim said they had plenty of life left. Go figure. I bought the car used last summer and it now has 27K + miles on it.

Our Blue smart has 82K on it and we haven't had to change them yet. It is time to check the pads for wear though, as soon as we have a warm weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the replies. From the posts it appears that I have a ways to go (I'm at 35K now) before I would expect to have to deal with replacing the pads/shoes.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies. From the posts it appears that I have a ways to go (I'm at 35K now) before I would expect to have to deal with replacing the pads/shoes.
Thanks again!

Remember, the smart has "squeallers" on the front pads, so when they get thin, they will let you know. I still try and routinely check mine, I really don't want them that thin before changing them.

I do highly recommend the O'Reilly ceramic pads. Been running them for almost 3 years now, and they work great. A lot less dust than the OE pads. They are a little tougher on rotors though. I will have to replace my rotors the next time I do brakes.:)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I got about 100,000 km out of pads - they failed due to delamination rather than wear. Rotors were changed at 200,000 km.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I replaced mine 2 years ago, at about 30K on the odo with O'Reilly Ceramics :)

The originals still had LOTS of wear left, but WAY too dirty !!!!

Haven't looked back since, NO wheel dust !! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts