Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are 8 pictures of the construction and installation of a 2 inch Receiver on our 2008 smart cab.

The fabrication and installation took about 3 hours in my home garage.

1. First step is to remove rear lower splash shield. There are 2 bolts and two plastic retainers. After removing the fasteners pull the bottom of the splash shield rearward and it will snap out.

2. The next step is to remove the 6 Torqx bolts holding the rear cross member and then remove the cross member. The cross member is the formed steel bumper that performs the function of a bumper, Exhaust shield and houses the threaded spuds for the tow hooks. The cross member is very light weight and easy for a single person to manage.

3. The next step is to box the cross member in to increase its strength. I used 4 3/4 wide .125 thick stainless steel for this task. I TIG-ed the stainless to the high strength steel used to make the cross member.

4. The next step is go to UHaul and buy a 2 inch to 1 1/4 bike rack adapter.
these come Black Powder coated and are easy to trim for installation.

5. The next step is to weld the 2 inch receiver to a 1 3/4 thick wall angle iron piece. The angle iron I used was a 12 inch piece of stainless . All the stainless I used for this project was purchased for $15 at a metals house. The pieces I bought were in the remnant bins.

6. The next step is to drill 4 holes in your angle iron that will match to 4 hole drilled in your "boxed" cross member. If you use stainless for your project go to Home Depo and buy a 3/8 inch cobalt drill bit. Stainless is HARD!

7. Tig the 2 inch receiver and angle iron that you bolted to your Cross member. Finish boxing the completed assembly and Paint with black spray paint or have complete project Powder Painted Black.

8. Reinstall cross member and enjoy the New Utility.

The finished unit will allow a floor jack placed under the 2 inch receiver to lift the entire rear of car. I pulled a 900 pound utility trailer 10 miles over the weekend. I Kept my speed to a max of 45 mph and the car in no more than third gear. I also carried our bikes about 40 miles down the freeway for a century ride on sunday. The bike carrier I use is the SoftRide unit . I plan using the hitch for carier baskets and bike racks mostly. The SoftRide will fold down and allow full access to the rear of the car.

I am new to this forum and I am not allowed to post pictures.

WOULD SOME KIND PERSON ON THIS FORUM PLEASE E-MAIL ME an Email address
SO THAT I MAY SEND PICTURES for THEM TO POST TO THIS THREAD? My Email address is [email protected]

Thanks,....Alan Travis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When You pull , you should keep it manual mode. It seems to short shift in auto mode. My main use will be mostly bike hauler and my jet ski and motorcycle puller. I tried the 16 foot Wells Cargo trailer to see what it was like to pull. The smart pulled it fine but it would be a thrilling ride if a panic stop was needed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here are Alan's photos. It looks like a really nice, clean installation. My only question is where have you mounted the lights plug for the trailer?

Perhaps an Admin can move this thread to the Modifications Forum?

·
Registered
698 Posts
If I understand the photos correctly, your 4 nuts are inside the welded box section? So this is now a permanent mounting and you can't take the bolts off and remove the hitch?

Or am I missing something?

Also, is there a location to attach a safety chain?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are Alan's photos. It looks like a really nice, clean installation. My only question is where have you mounted the lights plug for the trailer?

...................................................................................................
Thanks Dave for posting the pictures. I have not decided on the wiring plug location yet. I have only had the car for 2 days so far.
...................................................................................................
The nuts for the 4 bolts are in the "boxed in" cross member. I can not remove the 2 inch receiver , as I also welded the angle iron to the cross member. I can, however , simply purchase another cross member and the inexpensive rear splash piece and return the car to stock. It takes less than 15 minutes to R&R the cross member. I welded and bolted the angle for piece of mind. The motorcycle I pull around is a 1918 Harley w/sidecar ,restored.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hallo

I think it well be max $ 750.- with shipping (without TAX)
<O:p(10 – 15 days)

<O:p<O:p
Thank you for the link “expediter”<O:pThere are a lot of information.

What’s about the connectors?
We have 13 pins. In l are 7 pins. Do exist an adapter?

Hans

·
Registered
198 Posts
How did you get the bolts and nuts aligned?

I understand that the four nuts are inside the cross member, but I am not clear on how you got the nuts aligned on the backside of the bolts and held securely to be tightened. That piece of 'education' must be missing from my background. Can you explain that to us 'rookies'?

·
Registered
53 Posts
New Receiver Hitch

A big thanks to Alan Travis for his detailed instuctions for installing a receiver hitch on the Fortwo. Just finished the project and all went smooth. Here's some pics but I'll try to get more after I get my trailer attached. The trailer I'll be pulling is a Bushtec that I pull with my Goldwing. Matches the car perfectly!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Does the receiver to on TOP or UNDER the frame member?

Howdy all

I am planning on adding this trailer hitch mod to my cabrio within the next month.

Just to verify that I am looking at the pics in the right orientation, does the receiver sit on TOP or UNDER the frame member?

It looks to me that it sits ON TOP? (But I have been known to be wrong on occasion?)

Also, how much did y'all pay for powder coating this?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts