Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This exhaust is quite impressive:D:D:D

This System from Breathless Performance Rocks! My Smart is definitely faster and it sounds incredible.

1) Hands down the system is exceptional quality with perfect welds and the highest quality Stainless that is thick.
2) The center exit with high polished Stainless Steel twin pipes give the car another
notch of engineering that only adds one more reason for people to say that's cool.
3) Installation was done less than an hour including valance cut out that
Breathless supplies a template for.
4) The best part is the system sounds incredible. My exhaust is the sport edition that Breathless offers. The take off is a rising pitch but maintains a low sound with out the drone sound. The system is surprisingly a nice sound that I ended up riding around for almost 2 hours after the install.
5) The lower rpm lag you could feel with the stock is now gone. The pick up is definitely better and stronger. You can actually feel a pull through the rpms that was not there before.
6) I thought the car got attention before, now it has become worse. People love the sound of the car and they are now asking questions about the exhaust and it has been 3 hours now.

to say the least I am very impressed with the exhaust and it looks amazing on the car. The most important thing is Ernie at Breathless answered the phone every time and helped me with any question I had because I am not a mechanic and to be honest I was a little apprehensive about doing this myself. Ernie definitely delivered on what he promised me and I have no idea on this stuff at all. So I will summarize the process below and it will be basic because I am a basic installer with no experience.

1) Do not even bother jacking up the car you can lay underneath it no problem. Also the oil filter is a little bigger than the drain plug if you have not looked yet.
2) remove the valance with the two screws and the pins. Very simple just make sure no one puts protectant on before you remove.
3) You will need a 3/8 wrench. A small one will do and another wrench to put some torque country style on the 3/8 wrench to bust the bolts loose.
4) There are two flange bolts and one bolt on top that is attached to the heat shield so there are three bolts.
5) Shimmy the support arms from the rubber boots (exhaust hangers) for the system and it will come out. (be sure to spray wd40). Also be careful the flex pipe is sharp so wear one glove if you plan on grabbing. Also save the gasket and reuse for the new breathless.
6) now reverse the procedure except start with the bolt toward the front of the car first and get it threaded with the gasket in between. Next make sure the gasket is positioned and thread the bolt toward the back last. I put the exhaust in the exhaust hangers first and then threaded the two flange bolts. This seemed to work best. Remember you will have one bolt left over from the top. I believe it was smaller than the flange bolts maybe 8 mm 12 sided wrench??? Not sure.
7) With the template supplied by Breathless Performance I measure the distance that was on the instruction sheet and used a jig saw with a blade made for cutting plastic. I followed up with sand paper to smooth the edges from the outside in.

That was it. I did have a helper to hold the system sometimes but that was the only assistance I received. I will say be patient on the two flange bolts they are accessible but with some patience. I only used wrenches on the bolts. I am sure swivels and sockets and air wrenches would have been easier and faster but all in all it is a do able project that took me one hour and 15 minutes from Box to driving down the street.

I will post some pictures if I can figure out how to on the board! Very nice product and exceptional engineering. Breathless did a great job and you can tell they know how to get performance from installing their parts.
Smart T :cool:<!** / message **>

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have been thinking about this set up and confess you have nearly got me sold. I have two questions, and perhaps I should just call Ernie to get the answers, but since I am typing away, I'll ask the thread.

1- Does this retain smart's emission control system?
2- Is it compatible with, say a SMann or a Brabus center exhaust valence? (which I don't own, but would like to.)

geosynch

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WilyB,
You are definitely going to be impressed. congrats on the system. You will not b disappointed. As for me I am still trying to post pics???
T

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also just bought one the (sport) sound like the one to go with. Ernie was great on the phone call .I will post results next week after install. I also got the frame tube ends in plain. Just to add to the rear look.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Was going to have my smart center tech assist me in the installation of my twin tip muffler primarily so we could do it on a lift but after checking with smart USA he was told he could not assist as the muffler may void the warrenty with respect to the emissions system.

So I will do it myself tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts