Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, a disclaimer. I'm an idiot. When I leased my Smart three months ago, I should have opted for the OEM DRL. The sticker price for the option was $260. On a lease that would have worked out quite cheap per month. Nope, I didn't do it. Thus the disclaimer.

The price to add OEM DRL after you buy / lease is ridiculously expensive. So I decided to brew my own. I live in California where days are almost always bright. I don't even know why I need DRL here. But I did it anyway! (See disclaimer)

I bought the OEM DRL grille from Smart for about $70 and a Philips Daylight 4 DRL from amazon for about $75. A little bit of polycarbonate, some home-made clips to hold the DRL in the grille, and a few hours of work later, I now have the following.

2014 Smart ED + Philips LED Daylight 4 - YouTube

Here are some pictures that could help you if you are interested in doing this.

My original non-DRL front.

The back of the OEM DRL grille where you mount the light.

DRL installed in the grille with some ugly home-made clips.

DRL installed in the grille, viewed from the front.

Both DRLs installed and grille installed.

DRL dim when headlight / parking light is on.

DRL bright when headlight and parking light are off.

Contents of the Philips DRL 4 package. Note that you need to get an alternate control module for hybrids and electric cars by contacting Philips Support.

Electrical connections.

You don't need the embedded Philips fuse if you are connecting to the Smart fuse box.

If you are wondering how to bring wires from under the hood to inside the car, this picture might help you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice! did you fill the space around the DRL and the grille? is so what did you use?
I cut a piece of thin, transparent polycarbonate to fit the size of the opening. Then I masked an area matching the dimensions of the DRL's face, in the middle of the polycarbonate, and spray painted the polycarbonate black. After installation, all I am seeing is a black area with the DRL showing through in clear. I am glad it turned out well because I was worried it was going to look tacky. But it turned out quite OEM'ish. I can't see the polycarbonate at all. Even when I look at it in closeup, all I see is the DRL's face; everything else is black. (Granted, the OEM DRL is nicer because their housing is actually not rectangular. It actually follows the contour of the grille opening. Oh well, nitpick details!)

btw, I found it impossible to glue this polycarbonate to the OEM grille because no glue I could find wants to stick to Smart's polypropylene grille. So I have the polycarbonate staying in its place with just friction fastening of the DRL pushing up against it and my DRL homemade DRL mounting clips pushing up on the sides. It seems quite sturdy. Time will tell how sturdy. I wish I could explain this better with some pictures, but I didn't take any pictures of that area in closeup.

If you don't already have some thin polycarbonate (or even acrylic) sheet at home, you should be able to pick up some scraps at a local plastic place (in California we have TAP plastics) for less than a buck.

One last thing. Instead of the amateur metal clip fastening mechanism I made for holding the DRL in its place, I really wanted to make a plastic snap-on fastener using my friend's 3D printer. But my 3D modeling skills are poor. If you have some CAD skills, I think it will be a simple 3D print.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts