Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really think you need parking sensors when the rear of the car is like 2 feet from your head?
I don't "need" the entire car since I have two other Mercedes I select from to drive. It's just a feature I've gotten use to having on all our cars.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nice I have this on my Volt...but I dont think I need this on the the Smart
But post more details on all the additional parts of your install that are missing....
Im sure that allot of other drivers would like this feature on their Smarts
Great Job

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The setup is a nVISION 60100VA Back Up Sensor System I got from Amazon for about $39.

I didn't capture many pictures as I went along.

I took off the hatch body panel by unscrewing 6 screws on the tailgate:
Open the tailgate. There are two screws, one on each side in black. Then open the storage compartment in the hatch and there are four additional screws along the top. Then the plastic exterior will just pop off. It's very easy.

I pushed the wire that connects to the reverse light through the little flexible rubber tube near the left hinge. I spliced it into the left reverse light with the wire splices included with the kit. The ground wire is brown and the hot wire is yellow/red.

I couldn't squeeze the speaker wire back through the rubber tube, so I just left the buzzer in the hatch. The kit included some 3M double sided tape and I just taped in inside the hatch near the top latch, to the left of the blue connector in the photo above. It's still loud enough if you turn down the stereo within the car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You really think you need parking sensors when the rear of the car is like 2 feet from your head?
I was thinking the same thing...
It is interesting how many people can't live without a backup camera on their new car, once they have gotten used to it on their previous vehicle.

We drove without them for the last 75 years, but now it is becoming a necessity. I like the rear view camera a lot more then sensors, only because it reveals stuff going on farther away. Regardless, the two vehicles I drive on a regular basis don't have either.

Nice job on the install, I'm surprised it was that inexpensive and that easy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the highline nav accepts a reverse camera signal.

I wonder what smart will do when all cars are required to have them in 2015. The new model will probably be out by then, but the ED is suppose to live past that date. I wonder if they will just keep selling 2014 models into 2016.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts