Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my endeavor last night was to install a set of hornblasters trainhorns in my car. Took me 8 hours without prior install tips and routing locations but I eventually got it finished. I think that with a second person, an hour or two is definitely reasonable, or 4 hours a second time by myself. Incase you may be looking to do this or have thought it to be difficult, I was surprised at the end how easy it was.

The tank is mounted in the trunk and is completely removable. Electrical disconnects and an air quick disconnect let you tuck everything away in the passenger side tail light service flap for if you need to carry cargo.. The four horns are mounted up front. The longest and shortest at the bottom on the plastic lip(facing away from eachother), and the two middle sized ones are above and centered. One behind the crash bar and one above that. Dont bother trying to bolt them in, heavy duty zip ties is the way to go here. They dont weigh much and there is nowhere really to mount them without it getting in the way of the front panel.

As for the air line, If you've ever had the side valences off, you'll see an open passageway about half way up the tridion cell. It also opens up and connects to an area behind the passenger side rear interior panel. This makes routing the air lines from inside to outside quite handy because you can also tuck them away in the service flap. Follow this path forwards and route the air line, now inside of the valence, above the right front fender lining and you're into the front compartment.

The horns air solenoid is mounted to the left side (facing the car) front crash bar and then feeds all four horns up front. From the solenoid, one wire goes to ground and one wire goes to a button mounted to the shroud around the steering column. Used a button with a head about 5mm in diameter and it is very difficult to find without knowing where it is. Second wire off of the switch goes right to battery positive. Push the button, power is supplied to the solenoid, and WONKKKK. Also wired in the on/off switch included with the kit to the flap under the obd port. Easily accessible to turn on and off the pump as needed. Doesn't have to be on at all times. You get quite a few honks off of a full tank.

Had to nip some plastic from the front cover and also a tiny bit front the bell end of two horns but that wasn't a big deal and it still sounds identical. The spots for the front cover are under the hinges for the bonnet, you'd be able to see where you need to cut if you needed to.

Sorry for the lack of pics, it was from 6pm to 2am that I did this install, inside a garage, with only a 500w halogen shop light. I'll be posting a video soon though. Heres a video of the guy who I saw had them first, from right in my area. Seeing his, I had to get a set. Sounds like it does in the video but with a rumble in your lungs.

**this is not my video/car, but it is the same horn**

Hope you enjoy the tips if you are planning this yourself. I'll have a video up soon.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
When I heard that sound I had to laugh out loud. This is ideal for intentionally slow pedestrians who dare you to hit them. They had better wear Depends
This is most precious!​

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
Get some K5LAs and you'll be matching the train traffic in my area. :D

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
So my endeavor last night was to install a set of hornblasters trainhorns in my car. Took me 8 hours without prior install tips and routing locations but I eventually got it finished. I think that with a second person, an hour or two is definitely reasonable, or 4 hours a second time by myself. Incase you may be looking to do this or have thought it to be difficult, I was surprised at the end how easy it was.

The tank is mounted in the trunk and is completely removable. Electrical disconnects and an air quick disconnect let you tuck everything away in the passenger side tail light service flap for if you need to carry cargo.. The four horns are mounted up front. The longest and shortest at the bottom on the plastic lip(facing away from eachother), and the two middle sized ones are above and centered. One behind the crash bar and one above that. Dont bother trying to bolt them in, heavy duty zip ties is the way to go here. They dont weigh much and there is nowhere really to mount them without it getting in the way of the front panel.

As for the air line, If you've ever had the side valences off, you'll see an open passageway about half way up the tridion cell. It also opens up and connects to an area behind the passenger side rear interior panel. This makes routing the air lines from inside to outside quite handy because you can also tuck them away in the service flap. Follow this path forwards and route the air line, now inside of the valence, above the right front fender lining and you're into the front compartment.

The horns air solenoid is mounted to the left side (facing the car) front crash bar and then feeds all four horns up front. From the solenoid, one wire goes to ground and one wire goes to a button mounted to the shroud around the steering column. Used a button with a head about 5mm in diameter and it is very difficult to find without knowing where it is. Second wire off of the switch goes right to battery positive. Push the button, power is supplied to the solenoid, and WONKKKK. Also wired in the on/off switch included with the kit to the flap under the obd port. Easily accessible to turn on and off the pump as needed. Doesn't have to be on at all times. You get quite a few honks off of a full tank.

Had to nip some plastic from the front cover and also a tiny bit front the bell end of two horns but that wasn't a big deal and it still sounds identical. The spots for the front cover are under the hinges for the bonnet, you'd be able to see where you need to cut if you needed to.

Sorry for the lack of pics, it was from 6pm to 2am that I did this install, inside a garage, with only a 500w halogen shop light. I'll be posting a video soon though. Heres a video of the guy who I saw had them first, from right in my area. Seeing his, I had to get a set. Sounds like it does in the video but with a rumble in your lungs.

**this is not my video/car, but it is the same horn**

Party Zone Horn - YouTube

Hope you enjoy the tips if you are planning this yourself. I'll have a video up soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this video shows the mounting locations of the horn set on the front crash bar.

Still gotta get some video of these, but i dont know if it'll really pick up the sound.

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
That's one way to get a constipated person to use the bathroom! :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been running the compressor for 30 seconds or so and then using that to blast the horn. never filled it entirely. Today I let it fill up fully and it took about 4 mins. I cant imagine how loud it is going to be this time. Its gotta be atleast twice as loud. Videos tonight.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been running the compressor for 30 seconds or so and then using that to blast the horn. never filled it entirely. Today I let it fill up fully and it took about 4 mins. I cant imagine how loud it is going to be this time. Its gotta be atleast twice as loud. Videos tonight.
I missed the videos are they somewhere else? Also where did you get the train horns. Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No videos up yet, I wasnt able to process them because my main laptop took a dump. They're 1080p out of a 5dMkII canon slr camera so they're pretty beefy video files. I can get one up off of my cellphone tomorrow when I have off.

Horns are still great though. Everyone at work loves em and laugh so hard when such a surprising sounds comes from such a small car. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How does it sound inside the vehicle?:smartje.grs.zw:
Pretty loud, but much quieter than outside the vehicle.. Sometimes I stop and think how loud it actually will be compared to how I'm used to hearing it before I lay on the button... If I'm going to use it, I pay attention to the area I'm in before pressing the big horn or the small horn button.. I try not to use it in residential or school areas, after 8:00pm or so, and early morning. I really only have the need to use it when I'm on the highway anyway. So far I've alerted a semi and some oblivious person making a right on a red(one lane) when I was almost through the intersection with a green light. Both of these instances I doubt my stock horn would have been heard. I'm not saying you need an air horn to be heard. You can surely get a wolo bad boy and have some extra oomph but this car is quite a bit more fun when you have something like these horns. Its also a lot of fun to blast at people who are looking and smiling. Its something to watch their reaction go from smiling, to panic, to burst out laughing. Its enough to make me laugh out loud in my own car.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've always wanted the train horns on my car, but I just wonder what would happen if you blew the horn at another car & they totally lost it. Wonder whether you could be charged with something because it contributed to an accident?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts