Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new tachometer to finally place along side the clock I bought when I first purchased my For Two new in 2006. Physically installing the tach was obvious, but I'm hoping someone can direct me how & where I can thread the tachs long harness and where it gets plugged into? I know I will have to take my car to the now local place that now has a "STAR" computer to have my car's computer receive and activate the tach. Right now I just want to completely hook it up.
Thank You
PS: Car is running great and just bought rear tires for it for a second time. :)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
FQ101.co.uk - Installing fortwo Pods

It plugs into the back of the speedometer and you run the wire along the top of the little cubby between the heater controls and speedo. Mine worked without a TAN code. You have a chance it will. A lot of these 450's were bought at dealers in Europe and shipped over. The dealers would strip the good stuff off before the car left the lot figuring we wouldn't know or care.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what little cubby? It seems as if it's pretty well sealed off around there. Also, when I get the end plug to the area of the speedo, can I access the speedo plug easily somehow like just looking up - removing a panal or something or do I have to get into removing the speedo cluster?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did it (unfortunately with a 4 year old hanging on by back literally and figuretively) and everything works except for the horn. I'll have to deal with that later. Quick, it was straight forward but had a real hard time with the two front screws (torward the steering wheel), they just turned and wouldn't release and I finally (not on purpose of course) broke the two front hold-down tabs inside the pod that those screws tighten in and out of. Hope I don't have to take that dash pad off again to deal with the horn that's now not working. The horn fuse has to be OK because the horn fuse takes care of several other items that all work.
Thanks Stretchmobile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts