Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Smarties

I just bought an air intake hose from madness and I'm surprised there's like zero info on them online. Has anyone installed one? does anyone know of any instructions or guides that exist anywhere?

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most of the time we just take a hack saw to the OEM resonator to get it out. 3 screws and a ball joint under the filter box and it comes out. The install is pretty straight forward... I think SM may have a YouTube video of an install out there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Contact SM (either phone or online)?

I have gotten several things from them in the past and they sent the install instructions in a PDF (on request).

I agree, instructions should ALWAYS be included with anything purchased, BUT apparently manufacturers/vendors disagree?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I've installed one from SM on my 2008. Installing the hose is easy, but removing the stock resonator can be difficult and it varies depending on model year. My 2008 resonator was not too bad to remove, but the resonator design changed in 2009- and it's a real PITA to remove without destroying according to those who've done it. It's been a while since I installed it, but I think you may need to purchase hose clamps unless they're including those now and that may also vary depending on model year.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Matt with Boesche installs his cold air intake at events and if I remember correctly from the Denver Nationals it looked like he got it out in one piece. But he has years experience doing it. Mine came out in pieces when my mechanic put mine in.
Mick

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I got mine from smart madness and got the silicone tube that goes to the outside scoop as well. I also purchased an exhaust to increase the performance and sound. After installing the cold air intake and silicone tube it felt faster (butt dyno) and sounded fantastic. I sold the exhaust that I had bought before I installed it as I was happy with how it sounded with just the intake.

edit: It is now redundant after seeing the post from smart madness but my mechanic called them and they were wonderful in helping him during the removal and install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called you guys yesterday and was given no help, no instructions. Just a link to the only you tube video that exists showing one installed (but not showing how to remove the existing one)

I'm probably going to wing it tomorrow and hope I don't break the original one

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just talked to Art from Madness. He was a mountain of help and now I know what to do. Thanks man, that was more than I could have hoped for.

Jeff

·
Vendor
3,433 Posts
Just talked to Art from Madness. He was a mountain of help and now I know what to do. Thanks man, that was more than I could have hoped for.

Jeff
I called you guys yesterday and was given no help, no instructions. Just a link to the only you tube video that exists showing one installed (but not showing how to remove the existing one)

I'm probably going to wing it tomorrow and hope I don't break the original one
If you're the same person whom I had the pleasure of speaking with yesterday I wanted to drop a line add a picture of where the additional 2 bolts are located. The star in the attached picture is the approximate location of the upper bolt. The lower bolt is easier to access from the bottom of the car. They are both t30 torx bits and they hold the metal mounting bracket to the transmission that the factory air box rests on. With those 2 bolts removed the intake will be free to wrestle through the opening in the engine compartment.

If you have any further questions just let Arthur know or you can email me @ [email protected] Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have PDFs of both the 08-10 and 11-up procedures if anyone is interested. Seems fairly simple once you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not sure what the big deal is. I just removed mine. The location of the screws really was obvious.

You will be half crazy and full of murderous thoughts by the time you get the thing out of there. Wear gloves. You'll bleed less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts