Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I just took delivery of a smart Passion coupe with the base radio/cd player. When I am listening to the radio or cd player, I always turn it off before turning the car off.

When I re-start the car, the radio comes on without me pressing the "on" button. It is not a "big deal" but it is puzzling! I read through the manual for the radio but can't seem to find anything there that helps.

Anyone run into this? Is there something I should be doing differently?

Thanks for your input.

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JPaul. Never having had a radio that did this before I thought something was "wrong." Since this is what the radio does, I will just turn it down before I shut the car down...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Radio 9 comes on each time car is started

I recently spoke to a Smart factory rep and he told me that SMART had a defect in some of the radio 9 units and this caused the radio to turn on each time the car was started. He had the dealer order me a replacement radio, which I have not gotten as of yet. He indicated that this is not some kind of programming choice in the radio's ecu, but simply a defect which they will replace the radio under facotry warranty. Hope this helps. :eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that does actually! I did not even mention it when I had it in this week. I will put it on the back burner until I need to schedule a maintenance - or perhaps I will give them a call and get their input. If a new unit has to be ordered it might be better to do so now...

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Smart is 2 weeks old and started doing this last week. It's sort of annoying to me, so I will call my dealer.
Thanks for the info.

widdle

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mine has had the instant-on defect since delivery. I recently phoned the dealer, reported the problem, and was told they would order a factory replacement. They'll switch it out when the new unit arrives.

A pretty painless warranty issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same in Texas

Same thing from Roundrock Texas Dealer. Said that changing out radio was only known fix. thay will do it under warranty when I bring it in for first Oil Change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Software Issue?

I also have the Instant-On radio problem, and complained to my dealership.

The reply I got was:

"At this time this is a known issue. It is a software problem and smart is aware of it. At this time there is no fix for the issue. Tech support will be sending out a update as soon as the solution is found."

This seems at odds with the other posts here, which state it is a hardware, not software issue.

Anyone know where I can get a truly "official" answer to confirm/contradict what my dealership is telling me?

-Aaron

·
Registered
42 Posts
From Smart Tech Support

as quoted to me by my dealership:

This is a condition that is under review at this time. It is a software issue in the radio they are working on a final resolution.
Replacement of radio may or may not repair condition. When software issue is resolved there will be a published TIPS document to ID the updated radios“.

If anyone learns when a fix is released, please post the details!

-abelenky

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it's taking 7+ months for someone at smart to figure out how to patch the radio's on/off logic, wonder how long it will take to redesign the moon-roof shade?:confused:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also have the Instant-On radio problem, and complained to my dealership.

The reply I got was:

"At this time this is a known issue. It is a software problem and smart is aware of it. At this time there is no fix for the issue. Tech support will be sending out a update as soon as the solution is found."

This seems at odds with the other posts here, which state it is a hardware, not software issue.

Anyone know where I can get a truly "official" answer to confirm/contradict what my dealership is telling me?

-Aaron

My new replacement Radio 9 arrived at the dealership yesterday. I had it installed this morning. Easy change-out, took about 20 minutes, and replaced under warranty. I presume they just change-out these units and return them to the manufacturer for credit.

My new one works just fine, so their comment to you: "This is a condition that is under review at this time...
Replacement of radio may or may not repair condition. “-- is pretty vague. Not all Radio 9s have the "Instant-on" defect, so it seems that it might be the radio head, rather than a car software issue.

You might try simply calling your dealership and tell them you need a service appointment to have your defective Radio 9replaced.“

1 - 13 of 13 Posts