Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove mine so i can work on the left and right reset buttons. I read in Evilution how to do it and was told to just pull it straight out from the dash and disconnect the wire harness.

I wanted to see if anyone had done it and if there were any tricks or problems. I was just concerned about any of the pieces that hold it all together breaking from being brittle/age and anything else I may need to know about

thank guys

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I want to remove mine so i can work on the left and right reset buttons. I read in Evilution how to do it and was told to just pull it straight out from the dash and disconnect the wire harness.

I wanted to see if anyone had done it and if there were any tricks or problems. I was just concerned about any of the pieces that hold it all together breaking from being brittle/age and anything else I may need to know about

thank guys
Yep certainly worth thinking about. Other than resetting the trip counter when I fill the tank, the clock twice a year and the service reset every 3500 miles or once a year. Resetting the service indicate is the only one that is madding.
The buttons could be better but a broken tab holding the instruments in place, allowing them to rattle and shake each and every time I drove the car would bother me more.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It’s a Mercedes thing to have the instrument cluster held in place by just friction fit. I have 2 special hooks for pulling those from my ‘90 and ‘77.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
OliverB, did you make those hooks of yours? On my ‘85 the instructions are to remove the under dash panel and reach up under and push out the instrument cluster from the back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts