Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not long ago here was a posting for some interesting aftermarket electronic "pod" instruments. At first blush I had counted-out the optional pod instruments; the clock is redundant to the dash clock, and the tach is rather unnecessary for street driving. But I have changed my mind, not that I suddenly need either; I just think I can use the pods for other things in time.

Earlier this Fall I (well, "we;" no, "he") decided that I shall give-up (SCCA Club) racing as a driver and not seek to renew my license. Not for lack of skill or results, by my SCCA medical officer will no longer pass an arm with a permanent injury that is slowly deteriorating. I could still do OK left-hand steering while right-hand shifting a LHD car, but not the opposite in a RHD, and there is no such thing as a “LHD Only” endorsement. Time to move on. {In fact there is no going back; the race car was bought almost immediately, sight-unseen, and the last of the extras have now been picked up; just a few personal pieces of silver on the shelf and a tub of driving gear in the attic are all's that left.}

So, to move on to what? Well, a smart will do as well as anything else in SCCA Time-Speed-Distance road rallying, a much milder form of the sport than stage rallying (I just sent my stage rallying navigators manual to “tipo158”). I (correction, "we") will begin again as a rank novice team. The “we” is my wife, who can for once now be more directly involved beyond running Red Bulls, logging lap times, and tracking all the considerable expenses.

Anyway, the “pods….” In time they may be able to be re-instrumented to include a high-visibility, electronic odometer and a similar high-visibility, zero-set timepiece for the navigator, though that should wait a bit. Timepieces are pretty much an open issue, but any odometer, other than the OEM instrument in its original position, puts one up in the “Limited” class where we would be most uncomfortable as novices. The “Standard” class is intended for almost any timepiece, pencil and paper, a simple calculator, and the above OEM odometer. But, it should be fun, and the smart has plenty of cabin room for the navigator to work off a lap table and with maybe a book light, and the pods are in a very handy place. I probably will need an Edmund's Scientific catalog.

I can't find the original posting about the aftermarket pods; can the member who provided the info post a link or address in case I need some professional help?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
fishrdnc,

My deepest sympathies for you having to give up SCCA racing. It's been a while since I have been road-racing and I miss it deeply. Moved to airplanes then motorcycles, now mountain bikes. Time-speed-distance trials require alot of discipline. Warning: I hear it can be stressful on marriages when the trials aren't going right. I prefer activies that require less thinking and more Zen.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Time-speed-distance trials require alot of discipline. Warning: I hear it can be stressful on marriages when the trials aren't going right.
I would likely navigate while my wife pilots, so most problems would be on me. And with my tiring eyes, she will be better able to read the obscure smart OEM odometer.

Re: giving up racing - When you have to leave something behind that was important (racing or fighting/defending – been there-done-both those), it is good to reconcile and ‘fess-up; just say “it’s time” (or “…there, I said it”) and then move on.

At the very end of his speech of capitulation, Chief Joseph of the Nez Percé said: “From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.”

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Fishrdnc

I intend to order the new Smart with both pods...Like you, I think they are unnecessary (RPM) and redundant (Clock) but === Because of the x-gage mod, the PODS are getting hard to find on the open market and the prices have significantly raised on the UK e-bay sites

·
Registered
183 Posts
The X-gauge is nice and MDC also makes an OBD that gives much of the same info. The problem I have is the font is so small that I can't read it. The center read in the X-gauge is the only one I can see. The MDC has bar graphs in addition to digital so that helps. The Scan Gauge has the largest font and I can mount it closer to my eyes. It all helps us older folks.

Also us 450 drivers don't have a redundent clock unless we install an aftermarket radio with a clock.

As for the tach, if you drive with the radio on it can be very hard to hear the engine. The engine spins very freely and it is quite easy to be driving along not realizing that you should grab another gear.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Two pieces of info back from Welte Engineering (X-Gauge): (1) for me, a useable TSD rally odometer would be a non-starter in their (his) very niche market - it will be limited to the present multi-function instrument running off the ECU; (2) the X-Gauge is not compatable with the U.S. G&K converted 450s as the ECU is modified during the conversion.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Scan Gauge also does not work on the G&K cars, the MDC is the only one that will work on them. All three instruments work on the Canadian diesels and the European smarts and will probably work on the new US smarts.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Two pieces of info back from Welte Engineering (X-Gauge): (1) for me, a useable TSD rally odometer would be a non-starter in their (his) very niche market - it will be limited to the present multi-function instrument running off the ECU; (2) the X-Gauge is not compatable with the U.S. G&K converted 450s as the ECU is modified during the conversion.
Fish,
Which class of rallying are you going to be doing? Going with aftermarket TSD equipment is obviously going to bump you out of the stock speedometer and stopwatch class. (or maybe the rules have changed in the last 30 years).

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pods

Lotsa talk about the pods over in "Delivery." I'll probably order them because I can use the tach (at least early on), and then hope that something more productive can be fit into the other one besides a clock.

I once thought it would be a neat installation if the pods were an accurate odometer and a zero-set time piece for the navigator's use in TSD rallying. But that would immediately put us into the "Limited" (equipment) Class due to a non-stock odometer in a non-original position. I don't want to go any further than "Standard" (non-equipped) Class. So that is out.

But what to do with the clock pod? It would have to be something easily read from the seated position with aging eyes. The X-Gauge and ScanGauge things have lots of outputs, but too many all at once to see any of them clearly. I guess the tried-and-true oil pressure and coolant temperature would be nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just ordered a Scan-Gauge II off of the priuschat.com for $149.95, you have to register and there is a SCII thread that will give you a $10 discount (159.95-10). I will let you know when i get mine and where I decide to mount it. I like the idea I saw on another board of just under the far left vent or maybe ontop of the far left vent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts