1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you do it?
Credit Union and Insurance use the same KBB and NADA
but no information prior to 2008.

How did you get around this? Can you get insurance? From what company?

I found an 05 Passion-convertible I'd love to buy but having issues with the bank and warned by insurance to tread carefully

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
My guess is you are going to have to get a personal loan(not an auto loan) for the value of the car. Maybe even put up some collateral. Also you will probably have to get value based insurance. Hagerty and others offer this. Most insurance companies won't insure the grey market cars. You and the insurance will have to agree on a value, and buy insurance based on that. They do it all the time with collector cars. The problem is, if you wreck it, they are just going to pay you a lump sum for the car, not try and fix it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
back in early '07 got a loan from my credit union and insurance from 21st Century for my '05. paid off the loan - still have the insurance. no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
673 Posts
USAA insures my two 450s without a problem. I called, told them the year, make (smart), model (fortwo), VINs and purchase prices and they gave me quotes. I haggled and we agreed on a premium. Simple.

WhiteNBlack08's thought that getting a personal loan seems to make a lot of sense. Its probably the only way to get it "financed." If its being sold at a dealership (as a pre-owned) then their in-house financing might offer you financing. I know when i bought my second 450 from the Smart dealership in Denver, CO they asked if I needed financing.

Colo.sail, I'm curious. From where are you trying to purchase the 450? Most 450s are private party sales. As belkin666 has pointed out in another thread, 450s that can be found for sale seem to be private party sales or "mom & pop" lots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts