Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a notice in the mail the other day, My insurance company has decided to cancel my home insurance, and auto insurance because I did not get my house painted in the 3 month time period. I got the notice in November that I had 3 months to repaint my house, install a hand rail on the front steps, and repair or remove the garden shed in the back yard.

I did install the front step hand rail, but I thought it absolutely insane to be out painting my house in temps below 30 degrees and most of the time, below zero. This would be in the months of December, January and February, all which had above normal snowfall and colder than normal temperatures.

I talked to my Agent and she said all the house insurance companies are doing home inspections and cracking down on houses with peeling paint. Everyone I have talked to has never heard of this.

My house is 120 some years old! Last time I painted it was 15 years ago, used 35 gallons of paint and it took most of the summer with good weather.

Guess the insurance company doesn't need my premiums on this old house, or the 5 cars(4 drivers) so I am looking for some Insurance...

I don't F#$%^^& believe this!! :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Sounds like they were just looking for a reason and found one.
Down here there is a state insurance review board and or commissioner. I forget exactly, but it is a governing body that holds insurance companies accountable. It sounds like you should have someone to appeal to. Your state government would know how to advise you. I think you have a case. Maybe someone with more insurance experience will chime in here for you.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
November, December, and January would not be the three best months to paint a house in Minnesota! That is ASININE!

Asinine, meaning: very stupid or silly. Hey, I looked it up so as not to appear asinine. :D

Jim, I hope you pursue this. I would like to see the insurance board yank a knot in their tail. Somebody needs to.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Insurance CANCELED

My insurance company has decided to cancel my home insurance, and auto insurance because I did not get my house painted in the 3 month time period.

Interesting. I just had something similar happen. I am building a new custom home, and bought "new construction" insurance. The policy was canceled this month, after just six months in effect. There were no claims, I am on schedule with construction, and all policy payments have been made timely using auto-pay. Furthermore, I have a long history of car insurance with the same company and prior homeowner's insurance, too. Never a claim; never a missed/late payment.

Their reason for cancellation: Nee construction not completed within six months. Well, NO ONE could possibly finish a new custom home construction project in just six months. I explained that I had about four months remaining to finish my project, but they refused to extend or renew the policy.

I wonder why they call themselves an insurance company, if they don't want to write insurance policies?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Basically insurance companies want home owners to keep up their properties. Keeping them safe, and rot free. There's nothing new there. They don't want to pay for damage items. Insurance companies companies talk to each other. Its not as easy as changing policies.

We got a notice from ours to replace our shake single roof years ago. It was badly spilt. Didn't feel like spending $15K on a new wood roof. We replaced it with a composite, roof, of the same look and color. It was ok with our home association too. My Insurance premium went down too. It got hail damage 2 years later, and the gutters damaged too. The insurance company paid full, minis my deductible.They wouldn't have paid for the old roof.

My best friend, has a 80 year old home, in mid town. The city requested, him to repaint his home. Or a fine. A couple weeks later he got a notice from his insurance company too, on the subject.

Its nice out side now. Just repaint the house. Its better to have insurance.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The house could use paint, and this I knew. I only object to them demanding (and threatening me) to have it painted in the winter months. I had plans to paint it last summer but life gets in the way of plans sometimes. I didn't check with my son's girlfriend who got pregnant and they needed a place to live. It was either pay for an apartment or refinish a room for them to live in. I picked the room but it took some time (and funds) Now we have grandson to help out around the house (maybe in a few years)

The house is in reasonably good shape, I removed the front railing as it was unsafe in it's condition and had to be replaced (which I did) The shed is a steel shed and also needs paint (rusted in spots) Since I have to move it to paint the house, kind of a no brainer to fix it once I put it back in place.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
You really got your money worth, out of that paint job. We have to paint about every 8 years. I've been using Sherwin Williams Paint, that suppose to have a life time warranty. If it fades, peels. They replace. Got free materials 3 years ago. That big bucks. My home needs about 15 gallon. We have lots of large windows, instead of surface area. Can you just touch up the areas that are faded, and peeling. Fix wood rot too? Work a deal with the insurance company.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Since when did insurance companies become the house and yard police? Now there is code enforcement, HOA's and insurance companies waiting to jump on the slightest infraction? Too Orwellian.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
FWIW, we've never had an "in person" visit from an insurance company in over 35 years of home ownership. :)
In 1964 Bob Dylan said it best, The Times They Are A-Changin' - change insurance carriers today, your door bell WILL RING and you will be greeted at the door by . . .

Ours was from USAA . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was supposed to be 20 year paint... but well.. ya know... First time I have ever had a home inspection by an insurance company. They didn't go inside, just outside. There are plenty of houses with worse paint than mine near by. No doubt they just wanted to pick on me. Nothing from the city about paint, I would have thought I'd hear from them first. I will get it painted, but most likely will have a different insurance company soon.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
We have a neighbor that didn't enjoy his fiber glass indoor pool so he drained it and was using it for storage. His insurance company told him to put water in our they would pull his coverage. Oh well. It's possible that the paint thing could be a legal deal with the possibly of lead based paint underneath.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, NO ONE could possibly finish a new custom home construction project in just six months.
I once worked on a home construction site, I saw a house go from a hole in the ground to a 2 story with a full basement home with people moving into it in 2 weeks, so it can be done!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I once worked on a home construction site, I saw a house go from a hole in the ground to a 2 story with a full basement home with people moving into it in 2 weeks, so it can be done!
My parents home, built back in 1962 was a prefab. The whole home was up in a couple days. You would have never know it was one. The house still looks great to this day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts