Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of insurance rates are people finding. It's a small car, with a relatively low price tag. I would suppose collision coverage to be reasonable, but wonder if bodily injury is high. Still waiting for a DDE.:mad:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Technically, bodily injury refers to what you do to someone else, in the form of liability injury that you cause.

I think you are thinking in terms of med pay, which covers passengers in your own vehicle. Typically med pay is a fairly flat rate, regardless of type of vehicle, although some companies are taking the vehicle type into account for med pay rates nowadays.

The type of vehicle typically most affects your liability (how hard and often a particular model of vehicle hits others, statistically), comprehensive (usually frequency of theft), and collision (statistical frequency and severity of damage).

The Passion and Pure have an ISO (Insurance Services Office) "symbol" 8, the Cabrio a 13. This is based on a scale of 1 to 27, with the higher the numberical symbol the higher the rate. The 8 is the lowest symbol of any vehicle on the road today, save maybe a base model Chrysler minivan.

(The lower numbers belong to older models, the scale has been increased over the years to keep up with rising costs of vehicles.)

Your credit score can affect your insurance rates far more than the type of vehicle these days, and people don't realize that.

If you are calling or going online for quotes, if you give your address, you are most likely being credit scored, whether anyone's telling you or not.

But anyway, back to your original question. based on pure rates and assuming you have good credit and driving record, the Smarts have just about the best rate of any car or cabrio on the road.

·
Registered
786 Posts
2006 H3 $360.00 / month
2008 smart $347.00 / month

For smart car insurance quotes in INDIANA only call Missy Herrington-Hill (bumble flea) at 765-659-3127 for quotes. Not only is she a great agent, she is my lovely wife and a smart car owner.
:toot

·
Banned
343 Posts
2006 H3 $360.00 / month

For smart car insurance quotes in INDIANA only call Missy Herrington-Hill (bumble flea) at 765-659-3127 for quotes. Not only is she a great agent, she is my lovely wife and a smart car owner.
:eek: Is this a typo?!? $347 a month for INSURANCE?!? I'd move out of that state if that's the rate! :D Here in Rhode Island it's roughly $1000 per car per year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
2006 H3 $360.00 / month

That's roughly our YEARLY premium!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
2006 H3 $360.00 / month

Dang, I thought Cantaffordia was expensive. Here in Sacramento, I'm paying $332 per six months for my cabrio with Farmers. This includes $500K bodily injury, $100K property damage, and $1000 for windshield safety glass coverage.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My insurance is up next month, so I checked a couple of other companies. I'm currently with Geico, paying $243 for 6 months (that's my 2008 smart plus a 1998 AstroVan with no comp or collision on the van). With exactly the same coverage, Progressive quoted me $763 and Esurance quote was $550. That's just bizarre. - sheureka

·
Registered
672 Posts
Another good reason to retire to Mexico: $266 per year for my Passion's full coverage.
I carry liability only for Mexico (since I live 5 miles from the border) - $99 for 6 months. RVGringo - who do you insure with? I've used Lewis&Lewis for years, but maybe I need to shop around again. - sheureka

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I carry liability only for Mexico (since I live 5 miles from the border) - $99 for 6 months. RVGringo - who do you insure with? I've used Lewis&Lewis for years, but maybe I need to shop around again. - sheureka
Our policies are through Garcia Insurance Services, www.garciainsurancemx.com

AIG covers our US registered 1999 Nissan Pathfinder @ $266 per year.
ANA covers our 2007 Smart Passion @ $450 per year. This higher price is because it is registered in Jalisco, not the USA. Both are 'full coverage'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts