Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called my insurance company (auto club) to find out how much it would cost to insure a Smart Passion using the same coverage I had on my 1992 Honda Civic (that someone broke into and stole a bunch of parts from so it had to be totaled).

Coverage for my 92 Honda Civc CX was $813 per year.
Coverage for a 09 Passion would cost me $1512 per year.

I can't afford that. :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check with Esurance. I added my 2009 Cabroliet and it only went up about 12 dollars a month. Now I have a bunch of other cars so this was not a one car price but an add on car but I thought that was unbelievebly cheap. Also Liberty Mutual is supposed to have some special deal for Smart cars.When they first came out not a lot of insurance companies had them on their list so Liberty Mutual jumped on that and came up with a special price. I have been happy with esurance so I didn't check with LM.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Liberty Mutual used to advertise on here, and I recently saw them adversising smart insurance on another site. Check with them.

That being said, Insuring a new $15,000 car vrs a car with maybe a $1,500 blue book value will not come out the same. Thats why they felt they would total it for a couple of parts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went with reasonably decent coverage through Pregressive (I stepped a few coverage options down from max, but kept the $250 deductable), and wound up with $373 per 6 mo. I did one of the mass quote things online (holy cow, I never thought the calls would stop), and Progressive and Farmers ended up being the low ones. Some of the quotes I got were over $800 for 6 mo and lesser coverage! :eek:

I'd say shop around. It sounds to me like your insurance doesnt quite know what to do with a smart. They think it's an exotic car?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2008 Passion is 7 cents a month more than my wifes 2001 Honda CRV for identical coverage. That's with State Farm and a bunch of policies.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The Smart has been lauded as inexpensive to insure; it may be your company just doesn't have enough experience with them.

Absolutely shop around!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just called my insurance company (auto club) to find out how much it would cost to insure a Smart Passion using the same coverage I had on my 1992 Honda Civic (that someone broke into and stole a bunch of parts from so it had to be totaled).

Coverage for my 92 Honda Civc CX was $813 per year.
Coverage for a 09 Passion would cost me $1512 per year.

I can't afford that. :(
Hi, Jinjer,

I'm insured through AAA and I'm only paying a bit over $1100/ yr. As stated by others, a new car is always going to cost more to insure due to its value as opposed to a 17 or 18 year-old car.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
$420 per 6 mo. with progressive and their "recommended" coverage. I'm not complaining. Allstate was wanting to charge me $1600 6 mo. for half the coverage.. :|

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,493 Posts
We are down to five cars in our household, since selling three in the last couple of months. My Corvette Z06 and Smart Brabus coupe are through AARP The Hartford. I am paying $422.00 per year on the Corvette and $412.00 per year on the Smart. I have other cars with Hagerty Classic Car Ins. Co and my wife still uses Geico. I am almost 63 with a very good driving record (no tickets in my 43 years in Florida) and all endorsements on my commercial driving license. You can go with AARP if you are over 50 if I remember correctly. Good luck on finding reasonable insurance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We also have Hartford and spotless driving records. We have several cars on the policy of which the 2009 Smart accounts for $420 per year.

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
I'm paying 291.04 for six months of coverage from GEICO on just the smart. I am getting multi-car and 5 year good driving record discounts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have Farmers, multi-car discount. 100/300/50. The Smartie runs $496.70 per year (or more accurately, the first year). We'll see what happens after there are more on the road and the insurance companies get more stats.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm paying roughly $230/six months for 20/40/10 full-coverage on my Cabrio. For comparison, the company charges me roughly $400/six months for PL/PD only on my '89 Chevy half-ton pickup.

Sounds like your insurance company needs a bit of schoolin'.

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,953 Posts
AAA in California, full coverage at $589 for the year.....

I checked a few others on-line and they wanted twice that much:eek:
Rates will also very from state to state, your location and your age...

·
Registered
36 Posts
AAA in California, full coverage at $589 for the year.....

I checked a few others on-line and they wanted twice that much:eek:
Rates will also very from state to state, your location and your age...
Can you send me a document of the above mentioned full-coverage offer from AAA?

I am having AAA too, but paying 389$ for full year liability. The offer they made for full coverage was more than 1200$.

Thanks

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
I'm clueless as to why the OP's coverage would be higher on the smart. When I signed up with Progressive on the phone, the CSR I spoke with gave the impression they were aware of the smart's safety advantages and lower cost collision repairs.

I'm paying 2X256.29 = 512.58/year at Progressive. My deductible is $500.
I have the Diamond Membership, which just means I've been insured by them for four years. It's a loyalty discount thing. Plus I'm old and have a perfect record for more than 10 years. All of that counts, as well as your credit rating.

I'm thinking of giving Progressive's "Snapshot" program a try for a further discount. Only drawback is it connects to the OBDII port and I won't be able to use SGII for the test period. I think the evaluation period is 30 days, and they claim "up to" a 30% discount based on your driving habits: time of day and driving style.

20111003 UPDATE: Today I received the Snapshot device, and my six month premium bill. My policy cost has been reduced by $8.10 per year. Hey, every little bit helps. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts