Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the intake upgrade(in red!!) from smart madness and am excited to put it in and want to be sure I have everything I need before starting. Can I reuse the clamps from oem intake on new silicone hose?
Is there any misc. parts I need on hand that I will need, special tools/fasteners/etc.??
Is there anything attached to the oem intake that will need to be relocated? ECU? Thanks for your replies!

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
bpsmart and I did an install on his 08 - had to destroy the OEM clamps to get them off; trip to the auto parts store for new clamps. Screwdriver and pliers should be enough if I remember correctly. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's a slight pain in the ass to remove the factory intake. I've done it on both of my Smarts (2012 and 2013)...

Tools I used:
* 1/4" drive ratchet with a swivle head
* 1/4" drive Torx bit (Forget what size... Sorry)
* Extension for ratchet and bit
* I used a socket for the hose clamps... You can use a standard screw driver if you want.

Tips:
*There is a bracket under the factory intake tube/muffler, REMOVE IT!
*It's kind of a puzzle to get out, but it does come out.
*Unbolt airbox so you can push it out of the way as much as possible.
*You can reuse the hose clamps, unless they break during removal.

That's what I can think of...

Have fun, get ready to do burnouts!

-Ian

·
Registered
343 Posts
I re-used my clamps, but still had to buy one for the PCV hose.

Pick up a rack of torx sockets from harbor freight for cheap. You'll need them eventually, for this and other projects.

To be honest, for the sake of my sanity, I opted not to save my stock resonator. It came out in few minutes with a hacksaw blade, instead of cursing for a couple hours trying to get the thing out in one piece.

I'd also recommend the AFE dry filter. I've always been a K&N fan, but I like the ease of maintenance with a non-oiled filter.

ilomax- I hope the burnouts bit isn't serious, and if it is- how? I can't make mine break loose on anything short of ice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
To be honest, for the sake of my sanity, I opted not to save my stock resonator. It came out in few minutes with a hacksaw blade, instead of cursing for a couple hours trying to get the thing out in one piece.

ilomax- I hope the burnouts bit isn't serious, and if it is- how? I can't make mine break loose on anything short of ice.
NOOOO.... don't hack it out... to late... The hard part is getting to the bolt, not removing the intake.
First time it took me about 30 min of pushing and pulling to get the intake tube/muffler out, that included beer sipping breaks.

1/4" tools work well with these cars.

I was joking about being able to do burnouts... The intake paired with the exhaust makes a noticeable difference tho, top and low end of power.

Unless you're going turbo, save your money and stick with a stock filter... Flows just as well and cost much less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts