Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a prospective car buyer, and where I live, trying to find parking is really bad. I figured a smart car would be a good solution because of the small cars. I loved everything about it. But, I saw some videos about them and noticed that the Gas Cap is the type that you can easily open up (as in, it doesn't require you to pull on a latch inside the car like in other make/models). Is this true, or is the gas cap open when the doors are unlocked>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cap door locks when the doors are locked. Only unlocked if doors are also unlocked. No lever to pull.
Nice, thank you for your responce. Also, the front hood, it has those two tab you need to open to release it, is that lockable on any model?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am a prospective car buyer, and where I live, trying to find parking is really bad. I figured a smart car would be a good solution because of the small cars. I loved everything about it. But, I saw some videos about them and noticed that the Gas Cap is the type that you can easily open up (as in, it doesn't require you to pull on a latch inside the car like in other make/models). Is this true, or is the gas cap open when the doors are unlocked>
Before you buy a Smart do some research. Wish I would have done some.

·
Registered
2019 Smart EQ
14 Posts
Bought a new Smart end of November this year, car itself does exactly as expected. The worst part is the extremely poor radio. I have the upgraded navigation unit with jbl speakers. Sound is ok, the bad part is the head unit. TomTom navigation is horrible, but with a range of 60 miles total, likely won't use it much so there are alternatives.

The worst part about the car is horrible connection to iPhone. I use a cord to get best sound, have tried many different ones, stereo is up to date and phone as well. It is a long process before the stereo finally starts playing music from the phone (literally 5-8 minutes). You can see the song that it would be playing on screen, you can see the bar moving as if playing, music doesn't actually play for a while. Maybe this would work better if I used android, however I'm not spending a penny extra to try and get a crummy head unit to work properly. The interface is bad, audio quality not up there (even the upgrade speakers in my 4C is better and that's meant to be a raw car).

Fun little clown car for commute to office (4 miles) so I just now use bluetooth and worse sound quality but at least there is sound.

·
Registered
2019 Smart EQ
14 Posts
One more. Installed the charger myself. Not going anywhere, the post is in 110 lbs of concrete (I tend to overkill on things). Larger charger since never know what will want next so this on is adjustable on amps.

Obligatory sideways parking shot at the best coffee place

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,500 Posts
Great looking 453 and the candy red color is beautiful. Now a question on your lift. Is your garage ceiling only 8 feet tall? I ask that because that is the height of mine and I am looking for a good lift, but most require a 10 foot clearance. One like yours would work for me, because I want to put my smart under and my JZR (looks like a Morgan trike) on top.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fun little clown car for commute to office (4 miles) so I just now use bluetooth and worse sound quality but at least there is sound.
Congrats on the purchase! Fine looking machine and some nice automotive hardware in that garage! These little cars are a blast to drive. But yes, radio reception is quite poor. Fortunately I don't listen to broadcasts all the often, so the deficiency isn't that bothersome. I do have the JBL system equipped with my Proxy and I think the sound is relatively good. I say relative because the Smart itself isn't necessarily quiet. In fact, over rough pavement it can get quite loud. In that respect, looking for ultimate audiophile quality becomes a bit of a compromise with the associated road noise. Maybe your roads are in better shape, but in my neck of the woods, it can be a drone-fest. Next audio upgrade? Quieter tires!

As for Bluetooth, my system occasionally disconnects from my iPhone, but in that case, I go to setings on the phone, Bluetooth, then forget the Smart connection. It usually reconnects after a minute or so. You may have to turn the head unit off, then on.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Fine looking machine and some nice automotive hardware in that garage! These little cars are a blast to drive. But yes, radio reception is quite poor. Fortunately I don't listen to broadcasts all the often, so the deficiency isn't that bothersome. I do have the JBL system equipped with my Proxy and I think the sound is relatively good. I say relative because the Smart itself isn't necessarily quiet. In fact, over rough pavement it can get quite loud. In that respect, looking for ultimate audiophile quality becomes a bit of a compromise with the associated road noise. Maybe your roads are in better shape, but in my neck of the woods, it can be a drone-fest. Next audio upgrade? Quieter tires!

As for Bluetooth, my system occasionally disconnects from my iPhone, but in that case, I go to setings on the phone, Bluetooth, then forget the Smart connection. It usually reconnects after a minute or so. You may have to turn the head unit off, then on.
if you haven’t had the radio software update to cure the iPhone Bluetooth problem, have your dealer do it. My 2016 453 did that constantly until I had the update more than a year ago.

·
Registered
2019 Smart EQ
14 Posts
Thanks for responses. Yeah, over air radio flat sucks. My challenge is using iPhone corded vs bluetooth. It connects and stays connected on bluetooth. For corded, that's where I have challenges, offical apple cords, unofficial, doesn't matter. It shows what is on phone, however refuses to play the music and then connects/disconnects once does play.

I did download the update from either smart or tomtom site for the radio, one of first things I did. I do need to have dealership roll back car firmware. Apparently the latest firmware, on some cars (mine included), will charge normal and then drain the 12v battery requiring a jump start. Solution is to unplug the car once fully charged (can't use preheat then and have to stay up waiting). This doesn't matter if I charge at max amps or using the charger that came with car.

Roads aren't too bad for noise, 4 mile commute with average speed of 30mph due to all the stop and go means minimal road noise. One thing that helped drastically on road noise though, gummi phluge (or something like that sp). I use it on the seals for all my cars and works great at keeping seals strong against moisture and sound.

In regard to the lift. The ceiling in garage is 9.5', 4C is 46.7" and the SLK is 51.2" with just enough space to spare. I purchased and had installed the Bendpak Autostacker PL-6SRX (warning between lift and install not cheap, will also need to lift your garage door for more expense). I have added a link below to the autostacker site where there is a calculator to determine if it will work for your needs. Would love to see pictures of your JZR, have thought about those type of vehicle a few different times but never went the distance to purchase. Feel free to PM if have questions on autostacker, I want through research on 4 post and various lifts like the stacker so that the 2 small cars and suv owuld fit in the garage.

AutoStacker

·
Registered
58 Posts
Having owned the 450, the 451, and the 453 Fortwo, I would say the 453 is the best of them all. They said the Fortwo is called the city car but the 450 did not have power steering and 95% of all 451's did not have power steering (it was a cost option), so although the car is small it made it difficult to park with lack of power steering. I now own a 453, and they all have power steering and is fantastic, it is a wider car (4 inches wider than the previous 451) and thus gives far more cabin space, the suspension is far softer, so easier on the backside when driving on the road, also I bought a 5 speed manual box on the 453, and it is far smoother change with a very light clutch, than the previous 451 and 450 auto boxes. Even the twin clutch on the 453 auto box is smoother, according to other owners. Conclusion, if you have the money, go for a 453.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts