Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
453 may be the most civilised, but the 450 is simply more hysterical fun and better in the city where lack of width is as crucial as lack of length when darting in and out of traffic or parking in insanely tiny gaps - the 453 sacrifices both in the name of more space and a more comfortable ride, although I'm 6'5" and 280 and fit just fine in the 450, so lord only knows how fat Smart think their buyers are becoming if they thought they needed more cabin space.

The 453 is in most other regards a better daily proposition, but it comes down to the use to which you're putting the car and your tastes as to which is best for you.

I couldn't stand the horrible power delivery of my 453 Passion turbo, and it started to gnaw it me so much I sold it and bought an xc90. I also started to find it a bit to chintzy, a bit over style and detailed for the sake of it, as if being designed for city dwelling liberace fans. Conversely, the 450, warts and all, will be with me forever, and it's the 450 the history books will remember. Hell man, I may even be buried in my 450.

I shouldn't have bought the 453, but being a fan of the brand and wanting something to keep the miles off my 450 I simply presumed it would be great, but it didn't take long before it started to annoy me. Completely my bad, no one else's - the next owner will probably love it for all the reasons I grew to resent it!

So try a few and decide what works best for you. Don't take anyone else's advice on what's "best" as that is such subjective measure.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,522 Posts
Almost every time I load a photo, I get two copies. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Don't have the answer, but I deleted the duplicates.

Len

·
3,522 Posts
Thanks guys!! It is a 1983 JZR. It is similar to a Morgan three wheeler. In the early 80's a Morgan restoration shop in England called John Ziemba Restorations decided to build their interpretation of the early Morgan three wheeler. At the time, the Morgan Company had long since stopped producing three wheelers. The JZR trike is mostly powered by Honda CX500 and CX650 engines. A few were built using Moto Guzzi and even less using Harley engines. Mine is CX650 powered with a 5 speed sequential transmission. It has 65 horsepower and weighs just under 800 pounds.
They built two body designs, a beetle back like mine and a barrel back with the spare tire mounted on the rear.
I found my car on E Bay about 13 years ago and a importer I know brought in into the US. There are about 390 cars worldwide, and less than 30 in the US.
Since I have had my car, I have sold my '04 Corvette Z06, my '23 Ford Model T street rod, my '04 Dodge dually and enclosed car trailer. I needed the proceeds for health issues for both me and my partner Mari. The only two cars I have left are my JZR and my '09 Brabus coupe. Mari has her '15 Nissan Quest.
I will go to my grave still owning the smart and JZR. I told Mari, I am selling no more cars to pay doctors. We will just have to die first. Sorta kidding, but not really. Thanks for your interest. George Oller.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, now you've said it I recognise the engine. Bet that's more fun that Jennifer Lawrence and a pot of baby oil.

·
3,522 Posts
I have spent a lot of time with the car, but no time with Jennifer Lawrence, so I can't give an accurate comparison. Let me see what I can arrange and I will report back. :giggle:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts