Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this Ebay ad interesting. The smart isn't bricked but it's probably going to be. Currently holding a 20% charge but the owner isn't able to charge it. I would assume something happened to the charging port but I don't know jack, could be anything. What do you folks think the problem might be?

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
I'm not an EV guy... strictly gas (I need the range)... but in my opinion, $3,500 for anything that knowingly, "needs a tow truck to move it when someone buy it" [sic] is not a good deal. I think he's priced too high.

Just my $.02.
Jim

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
143 Posts
Agree with Jim,
Likely something in the charging equipment that could be replaced from a junkyard car. But, given the situation, and this being a 451, probably worth closer to 350 than 3,500. There is a good chance that in the end, this car will only be worth what it can be parted out for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I find kind of mind boggling is that people seem to give up so easy. Last week there was a guy who wanted to sell his smart for $500 over a probable sub $100 part and an easy repair. Then again, without a real dealer repair network to rely on anymore maybe they feel they have no other choice.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
“…runs but needs work, seems like the charger is not working it has a little charge now, needs a tow truck to move it when someone buy it.”

What does that mean? “Charger is not working” - OEM EVSE, L1, L2 or onboard charger? Has it been connected to a commercial charge station?

This 7 year old, 16,000 mile ED has had 5 owners! Who knows what problems it might have but if you have to write a $3,500+ check to TOW IT HOME…

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I absolutely love my three EV's and would buy each of them again. Two I bought new and one I bought from a friend I totally trust who was the only owner. I'd not even consider the car you are looking at without knowing a whole lot more history, seeing it in person and having a test of the HV battery done.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm not an EV guy... strictly gas (I need the range)... but in my opinion, $3,500 for anything that knowingly, "needs a tow truck to move it when someone buy it" [sic] is not a good deal. I think he's priced too high.

Just my $.02.
Jim
Very true, but presumably, the seller would allow a potential buyer to troubleshoot the problem and it could be an easy or inexpensive fix. Even if the charger needs replacement, used salvaged ones are avaiable for about $500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A big risk for a buyer to not be able to look at it personally. I have sold many vehicles on eBay and the winning buyers always were local and came to see them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts