Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much room is there for the driver/passenger?

I'm 6'4" and wonder if I'd fit -

:cool:

Not sure why, I want one. Our daughter will be old enough to drive in a year or so, I could see it possibly being the perfect car for her -

After I break it in for a couple years!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I got some pictures of a 6' 3" 300 lbs+ guy in a smart. He fits just fine and is buying one. Check for them with the keywords smart house on the picture forum.

At the LA Auto Show a couple of huge dudes, both over 6' and 250 lbs each climbed in together. Laughing they said they both fit at the same time. Another 6' 5" guy also got in, and he says he can't be really comfortable in any car, and this was no worse than his Mini.

I'm 6'2" and have to put the seat forward one notch from fully back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - I just watched the video "Big Guy" - looks like there is plenty of room.

I currently drive a 944, getting in and out is a PIA, but it is comfortable.

When was the last time I got this excited about a new car anyway? :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Not sure when you did. For me it was back in 1999 in Vienna Austria at the smart dealer on the Ringstrasse. Wish I could have put the 450 in the overhead compartment flying home. Eight years later I will finally consummate the dream and for less than $15,000!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 280lb but my torso is that of a taller 6'5" person (yes shorter legs!) and I fit.. Dont fit in a prius though.....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My wife is 6'0 and her brother is 6'7 and both claim that my smart is more comfortable than my land rover. Let the fun begin

·
Banned
343 Posts
6"3'ish and around 240# and I fit easier than in my Saturn SL2.

Another thing to remember about the Smart is that it's much higher than most cars, so it's a lot easier to get in and out of. I pivot myself in, then brace my left foot on the floorboard provided for that purpose and arrange myself into position, then reach behind me to grab the elusive seatbelt, LOL.

Because the car is narrow, the only real issue is when you have a passenger: you have to take turns buckling up. :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm 6' and 290 and fit very comfortably, thank you.
I came out of Wally World one day after getting the smart and it had a crowd around it. One hunky lady asked if she could sit in the driver seat, and I let her.
Another guy standing there was pretty tall and I told him he could fit as well. He got in OK but complained that his knees hit the steering wheel. I told him to slide the seat back the rest of the way (about 2 inches) and he was totally surprised.
I'd guessed the guys height at 6' 4" but after he got out he told me he was 6' 7" which really surprised me~! He proclaimed that it was "pretty comfortable."
:p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
6"3'ish and around 240# and I fit easier than in my Saturn SL2.
Amen to that. I'm 6'1 and 230#, and getting out of my Saturn SL2 was like being born. :p And don't get me started on the back "seats". My smart's boot has seen passengers more often that the back of Saturn has, partially because it's more spacious.

The smart has a ton more room, especially when you realize that the passenger seat is supposed to be offset (forward or back) from the driver's seat. The driver needs to adjust the seat to reach the pedals. The passenger needs to adjust the seat to not bump elbows with the driver. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I just watched the video "Big Guy" - looks like there is plenty of room.

I currently drive a 944, getting in and out is a PIA, but it is comfortable.

You'll have no problem with head room & leg room. Elbow room is a different story; it's a narrow car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A lot depends on the ratio between your legs and torso, as well. I've had quite tall people sit in the car and be completely surprised at the amount of space they have, while others slightly shorter (but still over 6') got in and had trouble with leg room.

If you're inclined to move your legs around for any reason, there's not as play as you might like. I'm only 6' myself, and there's plenty of room forward and backward for me (I do have the driver's seat jammed all the way back), but my left leg's been broken a couple of times (including last fall when a table saw dropped on my knee while we were unloading it off a truck) and it starts feeling a little cranky when I can't stretch it out after a while. There's not really enough room in the driver-side foot well to do that.

Still, I've managed to drive several hours at a time in my smart, even when I had to have my knee in an brace. And the convertible roof makes it a lot easier to carry your crutches!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts