Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A former Car2Go 2014 with about 20,000 miles.

My engine sometimes stalls when starting out from a stop. It seems to happen most frequently when I make a turn after idling for a time, such as at a traffic light. It also seems to happen in turns while driving very slowly on congested streets. It almost never happens if I put the shifter into manual.

It happened today when making a slow right turn from a stop sign and again a few hundred yards later while turning left slowly into a store parking lot. Except for those two instances, I drove about 40 miles today at various speeds with a number of start-stop-turns with no problems.

When the stall happens, the transmission is in gear. If I keep feeding gas, the car will continue to inch forward for maybe 50 feet. The engine seems to fire as it is pulled along by the momentum of the car, but the engine quits if I put it into Neutral. The car starts up normally after one of these stalls. All other gear changes seem to be fine.

Has anyone had a similar problem or an idea of what is happening? I don't quite know where to start chasing this one. The situation seems to get worse with time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The stalling kept getting worse and I was becoming afraid to drive the car.

I finally noticed that the optional instrument panel LED for the cruise control was acting funny; blinking and changing color and sometimes not lighting at all. On a hunch, I unplugged that cable from the cruise control and after three days of hard driving, I have not had another stalling incident. I even went to places that it stalled previously and tried to make it stall without success.

I am guessing a short in the LED cable may have been the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally solved the stalling problem

I finally traced the stalling to the aftermarket cruise control. The CC was intermittently killing the throttle signal, and only after idling for a time. This caused stalling on leaving traffic lights and it was frightening at times..

After I bypassed the CC, the throttle response was better. The failure built up over time and I didn't realize how poor the throttle response had become until it was so much better.

I still have the CC cables and wiper arm installed, but I removed the module.

The problem has been building up for months, but my one-year warranty had run out by the time I finally found the problem. I miss my CC, but it wasn't worth the 6-months of growing problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts