Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's '09 cabrio 82,000 mi has intermittent start problem. May happen with cold or hot engine. Engine will turnover and either try to start or takes several seconds to start or just run to end of start sequence with no fire. It will always start normally on a second try or if you turn off the key in mid failed start and back on starts normal. Also when this started gas mileage went in the toilet (30mpg).
engine runs smooth.

What I have done so far:
checked and has no codes current or pending
Ran sea foam through tank
Replaced air filter
Replaced Spark plugs (old one were nice light brown color all three looked the same)
Swapped crank and cam position sensors with my car
Swapped sparkplug coils with my car
Replaced fuel pump (gas tank clean as a whistle) at least fuel gauge reads full now :D

So the question is what next? Battery? MAF? Fuel injectors?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Some code readers will not read smart specific codes, you may have to get a higher quality reader or get codes checked at the dealer (or someone with a STARR system)

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
This sounds like it might be a valve issue but it should throw a code for misfiring if that's the case. :shrug:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I thought too. Plus all three of the old plugs were that nice brown color indicating not too rich or lean. Still baffled by it starts right up the second try. Also it is not using oil. and no smoke from the exhaust. I do have the luxury of being able to swap parts between our cars so other than the plugs, filter and fuel pump not out any real money at this point. Once running it is silky smooth (well, as well as a three cylinder can be).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was debating injectors or the MAF.... the injectors are the easiest so will do them first, of course that means it will be the MAF LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts