Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... in my final preps for the May 6th 2021 SmartBall, I got my SmartBall 2021 License plate frame and placed it up against my New York Plate and ....oh my..... this plate frame is a 65 dollar ticket in NY. It blocks too much of the plate,,,,:cry: back in the box, only good for photo ops.
Mind You the Harlem Edition has never had any window tint as I just don't want to be bothered for any reason..... but speeding...... when I am enjoying a drive in my Smart, so for sure it will not be for a license plate frame.
Now my next task of the day was to remove my Smarts exhaust with broken flex pipe that has just been hanging in place for months with a coat hanger (Because a like the sound) and replace it with a short downpipe. As I began to untwist the coat hanger I thought about my 3 days I intend to cruise around the California Canyon roads. I stopped untwisting as I saw a vision of myself being pulled over by California Law Enforcement explaining my illegal modified exhaust. :unsure::(

I'll be having my flex pipe re-welded back in place and plan on spending one less day in California.

:cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
If that were the case, one couldn't drive any car in Cal if it weren't built for Cal standards...

SubRosa

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You certainly cannot sell one buy one or register one that is not California standard....

·
Registered
492 Posts
That sucks.
I just got a new muffler for mine recently and I kinda miss the loudness from it not having a muffler.
Unfortunately with my luck it would be a ticket by the first cop who heard it so that’s not happening.
Sucks I won’t get to do the smart ball run.

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
It is not illegal to have a custom exhaust in the state of California unless it's louder than 95 decibels or changes the vehicle in such a way that it fails smog. That is more or less in-line with many other states.

So if your custom exhaust doesn't get you a ticket in New York, it is unlikely to get you a ticket in California.

All U.S. spec fortwos are 50-state compliant, so the legalities of selling it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'm keeping my custom exhaust on for the Smartball.

·
Registered
695 Posts
TW, too bad on on plate issue, I’m sure you got your ticket while 50 non-insured vehicles, expired registration and possible revoked licenses passed by. Typical.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TW, too bad on on plate issue, I’m sure you got your ticket while 50 non-insured vehicles, expired registration and possible revoked licenses passed by. Typical.
Lol fortunately I did put it on so no ticket.. It triggered a memory of how mad I was when I got a ticket for having clear plastic covers over my plates.. a ny no no

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The exhaust volume limit is 95 dB as far as I can tell as kindly noted. Can you even get 95 dB from the smart? The flex pipe is post cat(?) and the cat itself provides a little muffling. I'd guess you'd be fine with a straight pipe from the cat back, without having heard it in person. Someone is selling their straight pipe exhaust (cat back) for a Scion iQ a few cities over from me, only because of accident I believe.

There is a concern IF your tailpipe ends underneath the car. In California traffic the exhaust fumes may go up into the cabin and cause health issues, so it might be a good idea to either get the flex pipe fixed or run whatever pipe you had planned...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
^ good point on the fumes.
Had to replace the muffler on my miata not long after I got it.
The old one was rusted out(huge hole) and it let the exhaust gas come into the car around the shifter(boot was gone due to age)
Well I got really bad sick due to that driving it one day with the top and windows up.
Not fun one bit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Guys I have video from before I had my smart worked on without the muffler(broken flex pipe) and it’s definitely a lot louder then you think.
It sounds nice but it could get a cops attention especially if your into the throttle when going by.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts