Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was first introduced to the SmartCar when I attended a Vegetarian Summerfest in Pennsylvania back in July 2006. I parked next to one and thought, how cute. This little thing made my Geo Metro look like a SUV. While at the convention I ran into the owner. She was Canadian and drove down and loved it. I had been tempted to fly up to Canada and buy one, but haven't yet. Then I hear they are coming to USA.

In the meantime, in May my Metro got totaled. I was going home at 3pm to change into a formal for a work event. As I was going 45 mph a lady turned in front of - she was drunk.

My Mother had been wanting a new vehicle and could afford one. I couldn't. So she got one and signed over her well used 1995 Ford Taurus. I appreciate her help but this vehicle is killing me in gas. So I'm anxious to get something else.

I will have to wait until I settle/sue with the Insurance Company and the drunk lady (I had bodily injury too -still in physical therapy) to have money. So scared to put in my reservation.

Does anyone have any idea how long the reservations are now? Will it be a year? I want to get my order.

·
Registered
423 Posts
They aim to import 20k this year, there are over 30k reservations. There will always be those that drop out, but I believe you will be waiting at least a year.

·
Registered
517 Posts
However, they're also still saying that anyone who reserves one this year, will still get one in 2008. The short of it is, unless you knew about it and reserved it in March, it'll be a total guess when you get the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Five months and still in therapy? I sympathize with you. I hope you fully recover soon and get a fair settlement. Compared to your accident, the car is no big deal. But go ahead and reserve one anyway. The $99.00 is fully refundable and there's a chance you could get one in 2008.
Best of luck. :eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope you heal quickly. However, don't be hesitant to reserve your smart if you want it. The $99 is 100% refundable if you should choose not to make the purchase. Good Luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All. I appreciate your suggestions. The more I read on these cars the better I like them. I am going to go ahead, and live dangerously. I am sure I'd be able to get a loan. Just hate being that cramped in finances.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro. YEs please I waited and waited..and then I finaly reserved on Oct 5th. Now I wish I had done it sooner. Trust me the more research you do the more you will like it so I recommend go a ahead and save yourself tme by reserving for it now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the suggestions. I did take it. I'm taking the gamble. I didn't want to have to wait another year or so.

Now, I see some of you got to test drive one. Anybody test drive the manual? I don't mind shifting but have gotten lazy sitting in traffic and not having to each block. I wonder if the estimated Mph is for manual or automatic - also I haven't seen anywhere if it's for highway or city also. Anyone know?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Faith, there isn't a choice of transmissions. The smart will only have one. The good news is that you can operate it as an automatic for a no brainer experience, or operate it as a manual by shifting gears. However, there is NO clutch peddle so you simple shift gears with a tap on the gear selector. If you have a passion, in addition to the standard gear selector you will have a paddle control on your steering wheel so the selector is only a finger tip away.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts