Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.. I bought a smart electric December 31..

Can you use it with your iPhone via USB?

The manual is semi-confusing, and I'm running pre-release iOS, so am trying to confirm if the base radio is supposed to work with the iPhone via USB.

All I ever get is "Device Unavailable". The manual definitely talks about the nav package being able to control an iPhone, but it also mentions "MP3 player" for the USB port.. So I would have thought I could just play music (and charge) via USB. I can/am using the AUX cable, so it's not a huge deal.. but I want to know if it absolutely will never work. (I may get one of those little BlueTooth adapters and use that instead to the AUX IN anyway.)

Also, is there really no way to change the recuperation mode (page 79-80) if you DO NOT have the steering wheel paddle shifters? That seems really ridiculous. I'd like to at least PLAY with the D+ mode to see if it helps in traffic.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not sure i dont have the Nav, i just use a super small USB to play all my music and it works great.

And there is no way for different levels of regen without the paddles. Only thing you can do is apply the brake when slowing down, then let off and that should make the regen a little bit stronger but not much.

The paddles are definitely a key feature every ED should have. I can go from coasting to low regen to strong regen. (D+) is what i drive in majority of the time, I never use the base regen (D). (D-) is great for backroads or driving any flat road for a certain period of time without any cars in front of you because you can literally drive without using any power.

And welcome. Post some pics of your ED. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
First post.. I bought a smart electric December 31..

Can you use it with your iPhone via USB?

The manual is semi-confusing, and I'm running pre-release iOS, so am trying to confirm if the base radio is supposed to work with the iPhone via USB.

All I ever get is "Device Unavailable". The manual definitely talks about the nav package being able to control an iPhone, but it also mentions "MP3 player" for the USB port.. So I would have thought I could just play music (and charge) via USB. I can/am using the AUX cable, so it's not a huge deal.. but I want to know if it absolutely will never work. (I may get one of those little BlueTooth adapters and use that instead to the AUX IN anyway.)

Also, is there really no way to change the recuperation mode (page 79-80) if you DO NOT have the steering wheel paddle shifters? That seems really ridiculous. I'd like to at least PLAY with the D+ mode to see if it helps in traffic.
The smart entryline radio is not compatible with iPhones, iPods, and iPads. It's designed to read MP3 files only, and the Apple products don't use MP3 files. The radio will pull files off an iPod only, but reads it as metadata and as such you'll be playing a guessing game as to what song the unit will play. An iPod nano will work though.

Better idea is to take your music off your computer in MP3 format and load the files onto a usb flash drive and plug it into the usb slot of your entryline radio. A little trial and error to adjust your playlists and voila! :cool:

And I hear the West Covina dealership is loaded with smart EV's that include the lovely regenerative paddles. I use the regen paddles on my smart EV and they're a great feature to have, although not absolutely mandatory. :wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
The smart entryline radio is not compatible with iPhones, iPods, and iPads. It's designed to read MP3 files only, and the Apple products don't use MP3 files. The radio will pull files off an iPod only, but reads it as metadata and as such you'll be playing a guessing game as to what song the unit will play. An iPod nano will work though.

Better idea is to take your music off your computer in MP3 format and load the files onto a usb flash drive and plug it into the usb slot
All Apple devices use MP3 files only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not true, iPods can play MP3 and they can export music to MP3 format. Their native form is M4A and that cannot be read by MP3 players like the car

·
17,343 Posts
All Apple devices use MP3 files only.
Not true, iPods can play MP3 and they can export music to MP3 format. Their native form is M4A and that cannot be read by MP3 players like the car

All of you were close! But no cigar!

Apple products do read MP3, AAC, M4A, and a few other codecs I don't remember off the top of my head.

The reason they will not read on the smart's headunit is because the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and iPod Classic (up to 3g) all use the HFS (and HFS+) filesystem, which isn't supported by the smart headunit.

The smart headunit will only read FAT and NTFS formatted filesystems.

However, there is an exception to this rule. The iPod Nano, Shuffle, and later iPod Classic (basically any iPod that allows you to "Enable Disk Use") WILL read on the smart's headunit (even though their filesystems are HFS+ as well).

When the "Enable Disk Use" option is selected, the device will be able to be read on NTFS and FAT filesystems as well have data written to it from said filesystems! :)

If you do not have one of the above iPods, just get yourself a USB flash drive, format it to FAT (do not format it to NTFS*), and put your music there.

For better organization, I recommend sorting it by making folders A-Z then putting artists in alphabetical order in those lettered folders.

Make sure you convert protected music files as protected music files will not play.

*NTFS writes fast, but reads slow. The smart headunit doesn't have a whole lot of processing and will take up to three minutes to load a NTFS filesystem.

:)

·
17,343 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. I know Apple's read MP3 files but once they are on an iPod or iPhone they are generally converted to AAC files that the smart entryline radio doesn't read.

·
Registered
521 Posts
USB plays m4a's no problem :D

And i have bluetooth in my smart even though i dont have the package... its called speakerphone :icon_biggrin: which is a rare occurrence.

·
17,343 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. I know Apple's read MP3 files but once they are on an iPod or iPhone they are generally converted to AAC files that the smart entryline radio doesn't read.
The device itself will not convert the files, iTunes does that before you sync. And iTunes will only do it to unsupported file formats (like .wav). Apple devices do read MP3, AAC, and M4A so conversion isn't necessary.

A few years ago I lost my entire music library thanks to a faulty HDD in my computer (then, a Dell).

I plugged my iPhone (jailbroken at the time) into my computer, went into the filesystem, and ripped them straight out of the phone.

All of the resulting files were MP3, AAC, and M4A. :)

But all of that is irrelevant anyway, because even if your iPhone had all MP3 files, it still runs the wrong filesystem entirely. :D

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
OK - well I stand corrected. Either way, the smart entryline radio doesn't read iPhones. It struggles with almost every iPod too, only finding metadata that is un-sortable to the user. The only Apple product I've seen to work in the entryline radio is the iPod Nano.

Otherwise use a usb flash drive, memory stick, or portable hard drive loaded with MP3 files and you'll be a happy user.

·
17,343 Posts
Otherwise use a usb flash drive, memory stick, or portable hard drive loaded with MP3 files and you'll be a happy user.
That's what's I do! :)

Word of caution though: If you go the external hard drive route, make sure it's solid state, or else you'll get data corruption in no time thanks to all the bumps.

·
17,343 Posts
I briefly used a Toshiba external in my car. Worked great and probably still would, but I know some externals are VERY fragile, so I took it out.

But of course YMMV. :)

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
This would make as much sense to me if it were written in Chinese. Does "high tech" have to mean illogical and almost impossible to understand?
JWight...I know...I'm showing my age again.
Mick
ps...As a veterinarian I must not speak "doctorese" so my clients can understand what I am saying concerning a pet's disease. Couldn't that be true for electronics in listening devises?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use a USB stick also.The big advantage is it turns off when the car turns off. Besides I don't like leaving any music player in my car.

The one complaint I have is that each time I turn on the car it takes a minute to read the stick. Someday I will try using a maller USB stick and see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts