Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to connect my iPod to my Smarty? I have the Smart Radio 10 package with the 3.5mm aux jack in the glove box.

thx.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Go to Best Buy and buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord, and plug it into the ipod, then plug into aux jack in the glove box. I use a Monster cable one. It a bit of a over kill. You can buy cheaper ones. I wish Smart would have put the aux on the radio. Hate the cord running out of the glove box.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Also buy a Griffin/Monster/radioshack charger to charge the ipod/phone, if you go on long trips. Connects to the 12volt socket below dash. There are sold at Best buy, the Apple store, etc. Go to the Apple web site and look up your model ipod and charger.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Drill a 1/4" hole in the glovebox and run the cord through that down to the cup holder where you can connect your power cord. The only problem I have is that a 3' cord is a bit short and a 6' one is too long. Anyone know of a 4' cord?

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I love my Harmon kardan drive + play. But, if you want to go a simpler route, there's a connector on eBay that both connects and charges your iPod. eBay Motors: Smart Car Fortwo 2008 Radio Stereo Ipod Aux input Cable (item 350128397189 end time Nov-26-08 15:32:52 PST)
It's a buy-it-now deal, about $20 shipped. I have one and it works perfectly. As I also learned on these forums, you want to connect to the direct line out at the bottom of you iPod (which this does) so that you don't get the iPod amp involved, which is what happens when you use the 3.5mm jack for the headphones. I've used both and the direct line out really does give better sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will probably be disappointed by connecting your iPod using the headphone socket as the signal level is too low and both the iPod and stereo need to be at full volume to hear anything, which results in poor noisy sound.

To properly connect an iPod to your aux jack you need to connect using the line-out in the docking port using something like the Belkin Auto Kit for iPods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts