Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used ipod 5th gen 8gb on Ebay and then I used my computer to transfer my fairly extensive cd collection onto the Ipod. Then of course the next step is to run the Ipod nano through the smart radio.
The radio function on the Ipod is much better than the smart radio and so serves in it's place. The cost? The used Ipod nano cost $35 dollars and the connecting jack 2.89 also on ebay. I use the ipod connection from the traded in and unlamented Scion IQ (not turned back in) to connect to my laptop and to charge the Ipod. Happy dance time.:D

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
There's no USB, on a radio 10. Just the AUX. Not much of a sound system anyway. Won't make that big of a difference. Sound quality is better though USB.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Mine ears are fine, I have the radio 10. Even with these puppies, it doesn't help. My 23 year daughter been begging me for a new sound system made in this century.

Jetfuel. You home made console, brings back fond memories of my Dad.
We had a Shasta motor home, when I was a kid in the 70's. Dad made a under dash console for it out of chip board, and 1 by material. He placed a CB radio, 8 track player, and police scanner in it. He use wood grain contact paper trying to match the wood grain on the dash. He also use stick on body side molding on the edges. He said that gave it a factory look. It was held under the dash with L bracket. He made matching stereo speaker box too. Wow how technology has changed. I remember the wiring wasn't soldered. He used small electrical wing nuts. There was a RCA jack in the front, to listen with Koss head phones.
The speakers were from radio shack. The fake wood grain, would bubble in the heat of summer.

·
17,346 Posts
There's no USB, on a radio 10. Just the AUX. Not much of a sound system anyway. Won't make that big of a difference. Sound quality is better though USB.
I know, I forgot what year car Jackieowner has. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Provided the radio connecting to the ipod can recognize it. Alot of radios only allow the direct control of the ipod via usb and have to have an aux cable for the audio along side the usb cable.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Provided the radio connecting to the ipod can recognize it. Alot of radios only allow the direct control of the ipod via usb and have to have an aux cable for the audio along side the usb cable.
My other cars have blue tooth, USB and AUX. You can control the phone, iPod or Sirius radio, navigation, by voice or the steering wheel controls. The 08 smart still has the older AUX jack. Hate how the cord hangs out side the glove box. Even our sales manager at smart center said the 9 and 10 model radios weren't up to any audio quailty features, for there time. My 23 year for XMAS would like a better head unit. So many cheap aftermarket units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts