Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been searching for any successful installation of an Apple iPod/iPhone dock connector for the 451 US smart radio. So far there's not much information out there, but I wanted to start a thread in case anyone finds a solution.

There are adapters for most other car/radio combinations, I have one in my Scion xA made by Peripheral Electronics. It's not going to be a critical accessory since there is an auxiliary input jack in the smart, but being able to charge and play with one cable would be nice.

Scott

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Do you want to control the iPod with the factory radio? Its not a very standard MB radio set. At least with the jack in the glove compartment you can put your iPod on shuffle, set the radio to AUX and listen away.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using iPod for control has always made the most sense to me, and the AUX input is a great solution. I was hoping there would be some alternatives which did offer some control through the radio, perhaps next-previous track control.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Using iPod for control has always made the most sense to me, and the AUX input is a great solution. I was hoping there would be some alternatives which did offer some control through the radio, perhaps next-previous track control.
Since i use a Palm TX for my mp3 player, I, for one, am glad that the universal AUX jack is in the smart. I have one in my Prius. I love it.

Control of an iPod doesn't make sense for me. The headphone sized AUX jack does all I need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The biggest issue is that there isn't a power point in the glove box. My Prius and Mazda both had/have power outlets where their aux/ipod jacks were located.

This thing is great for ipods in that scenario:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V705...46/ref=pd_sim_e?ie=UTF8&qid=1196067253&sr=8-7

It looks like just a charger, but on the bulb of the 12V plug it has a line out from the dock connector.

Having a line out instead of going through the headphone jack is nice because it bypasses the volume circuitry, giving you cleaner sound and consistent volume levels. The output from the dock is consistent, no matter what the volume level on the ipod is.

So with that Belkin thing, you get in the car, connect the dock connector, and you immediately have power and clean sound with predictable volume.

With the way the Smart is set up now, I'll probably have to make another 12V location behind the dash or else run the headphone-jack line out from the Belkin gizmo (plugged into the existing 12V outlet) behind the dash and into the glove box. Then I'd just stash the ipod in the cup holder for easy manipulation, seeing as I'll be giving up the steering wheel track controls I have in the Mazda (sniff).

-Drew

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Thanks for the tip, this would work great in my Prius!

You could route the cable from the lighter under the dash to the glove box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
scanning problems

Is the smart stereo the same as all the other ipod ready radio's? If so thats to bad. I have an ipod classic and sometimes i want to listen to a certain song. To do that in my truck i have to scan through a billion songs to find the one im looking for. I finally bought a f.m transmitter. the sounds kind of sucks but atleast i dont have the frustration of constant song skipping.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Most all car radio's with an AUX jack means there is just a audio-in plug located somewhere on the dash or center console, but nothing to control your iPod. That's because not every mp3 player is an iPod, but they all have earphone jacks that you can plug into your car with a connecting cable.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
audio plug in? forgive me if i am not to tech savy but is that just a cable the inserts where the headphones go?
That's all it is, a mini jack in the glove compartment. Takes a male to male mini-plug cable from your mp3 player to the car. Think of your car as a big amplified headphone No control of the iPod at all.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
amazon has a marine grade "cigar lighter" receptical that looks like an easy mod to add in the glove box that you could use to power your device. come with a cover looks easy to tuck away

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Alpine eX-10 looks like an interesting option for integrating iPod/iPhone dock with the fortwo's auxiliary input. Adds Bluetooth phone integration as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Alpine eX-10 looks like an interesting option for integrating iPod/iPhone dock with the fortwo's auxiliary input. Adds Bluetooth phone integration as well.

That looks pretty good. I put a HK drive + play (1st version) in my neon and it works pretty good. This looks even better with the bluetooth capability and so on. Not that I have to worry right now...

·
Registered
487 Posts
How do you get the iPod wire out of the glove box to access your music? I hate having to close the glove box door on the wire and it looks cheesy too. I don't really want to drill a hole in the box, but what else is there?

·
Banned
441 Posts
What I did is make custom playlists on my iPhone for the Smart, plug it in, route the cord so it doesn't look bad or get in the way, start it up, and then set it next to the steering wheel where it seems to be stable without moving. Would be nice to see a mount though where I could interact with the iPhone at stoplights to change music, switch to a podcast, turn it off, etc.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
Here's my solution:
Griffin Technology: TuneFlex AUX SmartClick - Car mount, charger and remote control for iPod and iPhone

It charges your iPhone/iPod while playing through the stereo. It also has a remote control that goes around your wheel so you could control it without distraction. You could get it from Walmart for $70

If your iPod is not supported by Aux with Smart Click it will be supported by the original Aux version also available at Walmart.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexauxhttp://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

·
Registered
560 Posts
I never understood smart's reasoning in putting the jack IN the glove box. :confused:

Why not on the dash like most radios ?? It would be MUCH easier to plug in, put the player in a cupholder, plug in a DC convertor, if you desire, and listen away.

The current set up requires you do leave the glove box open or "pinch" the wire in a closed glove box door, I bet weakening the ultra-sturdy smart glove box plastic hinges/lock. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts