Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving past Maplewood Toyota yesterday (across the street from the Mercedes Dealer) and I got my first look at an iQ.

This car has a lot of the good looks of a smart (but I still think the smart looks better). It does have the advantage of local dealer support.

I wish that Mercedes would get off their rears and get some smarts for sale around here. They are missing an opportunity!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Maplewood Toyota has had the iQ for a few months now... I've looked at them at the Autoshow and not super impressed with them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maplewood Toyota has had the iQ for a few months now... I've looked at them at the Autoshow and not super impressed with them.
What in particular did you dislike about them? I wasn't a big fan of the back seats because they seem mostly useless but folded down the give decent storage area. Otherwise it seemed very similiar to the smart. I do wish it had smarts swappable body panels.

Just like the smart it is a little disappointing on the MPG to many other non-hybrids are getting 40+ MPG why is such a small car not doing better.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I felt that the storage space with the seats folded down was not all that different from the Smart. And the smart offers long space when your alone since the passenger seat folds almost flat.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
The one thing I didn't like was the entrance to the trunk. Its a small square unlike how the smart opens up completely.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that I am going to drive my smart to the Toyota Dealer and take a test drive in the iQ. I plan to do the same for the FIAT.

When folks ask me where to buy a smart (as they frequently do) I will be ready to give them informed alternatives that are locally supported.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
The IQ is so much wider inside then the smart car. Your not rubbing elbows. The storage with seat down in the rear, is a lot larger too. Not by much. It a lot quieter while driving inside. No jerky shifting. 4 cylinder engine smooth, quiet, at idle. It can get noisy on the highway, if you punch it. CVT transmission and engine drones. It drives a lot better then the smart. Turning radius is a blast. I miss a glove box in the IQ, but there is a large tray under the passenger seat, which is larger then the smart glove box. It not flimsy built like the smart. Door close very solid, for a small car. You feel like your in a larger car, wide windscreen. Dash layout is strange. Interior materials are good. Good radio compared to the crap, that in my smart car. Seat pattern don't match. Back seat on passenger side is ok, for a very small person on short trip. I still can't get pass the looks of the front end. Very bland styling, compared to the smart. Wish the IQ offered a sunroof. Also why too much money for the IQ, when you add some option. Just like the smart, its over priced too, for what you get.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I test drove it... too many negatives to win me over, even with the "better" drivetrain, tighter turning radius, and Toyota reliability and support. The rear opening is small, and the front seat doesn't fold flat. I've hauled cabinetry, wood flooring, baseboards... all in my smart... couldn't have done any of that in the iQ. Not worth spending the money at this point. It's a great little car for someone though, not, by any means, saying it's a pile of junk. I did like it. Just not enough in comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts