Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2010 passion set up for towing behind my motorhome. I also put a hitch on the rear (curt 2000/200 lb) and put a modified bike carrier cut down to hold a spare tire. I got the bike rack from Harbor Freight for $29. I asked my dealer about the question of, do you need a battery disconect for towing. He said that he only knows of only one case in the country where one trasmission was ruined, and in that case the computer showed that it was left in gear and not the fault of the ignition causing the transmission to go into gear. It did cause the owners manuals for 2009 and 2010 to be printed with the requirement of installing a battery disconnect or removal of a battery cable for towing. My dealer says that most customers he knows, don't disconnect the battery or turn off the battery switch. Does anyone who tows their smart have any suggestions for me. Thanks, kakory

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just got my 2010 passion set up for towing behind my motorhome. I also put a hitch on the rear (curt 2000/200 lb) and put a modified bike carrier cut down to hold a spare tire. I got the bike rack from Harbor Freight for $29. I asked my dealer about the question of, do you need a battery disconect for towing. He said that he only knows of only one case in the country where one trasmission was ruined, and in that case the computer showed that it was left in gear and not the fault of the ignition causing the transmission to go into gear. It did cause the owners manuals for 2009 and 2010 to be printed with the requirement of installing a battery disconnect or removal of a battery cable for towing. My dealer says that most customers he knows, don't disconnect the battery or turn off the battery switch. Does anyone who tows their smart have any suggestions for me. Thanks, kakory
We've been towing our '08 Passion for 2 years now with no disconnect. My procedure is to start the engine and pull it up to the rear of the motorhome, shift the transmission into N, turn the key counterclockwise as far as it will go. Then I connect the Blue Ox tow bar, safety cables, and light umbilical, then push the car back to lock the tow bar arms in place. Then I hook my bungee cords from the driver's seat frame to the steering wheel, verify the key is still "off" and the parking brake is disengaged, close the door and hop into the RV and take off.

I ALWAYS turn the engine on to shift into and out of N - I'm told that that is not necessary, but I know for indisputable fact that the transmission will shift with the engine running so I err on the side of surety...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
towing a smart car

Alan, Have you always tied off the steering wheel with a bungee. I was told by the welding shop that has outfitted over one hundred of these smart cars for towing, to just let the smart wheels track untied. Have you had better luck that way, and the possibility of being able to back it up for short distances?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've had to have Cheewawa towed twice, both times onto a flatbed. We simply put the car into N once, and the other time, now that I think on it, the car was able (barely) to drive onto the flatbed. I'm pretty sure it's ok to leave the battery connected, esp if the car is put into N.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Alan, Have you always tied off the steering wheel with a bungee. I was told by the welding shop that has outfitted over one hundred of these smart cars for towing, to just let the smart wheels track untied. Have you had better luck that way, and the possibility of being able to back it up for short distances?
I had no idea they were this popular with the RV Folks.

With that we should be able to Double the number of folks at Nationals:rolleyes:

·
Registered
233 Posts
When we first set the car up for towing I didn't use a bungee - as I left the hitch place the car started steering lock-to-lock. I stopped and reset the steering wheel straight forward and took off again. I found that if I started driving straight ahead it was usually okay, but if I had to start driving by making a turn the steering would oscillate. Then I added about a foot more to the hitch receiver because I added a bike rack and it would oscillate all the time. Adding the bungee has eliminated ALL oscillation, and the smart tracks perfectly behind the motorhome no matter how I start off.

As for backing up - most tow bar manufacturers discourage that practice. While I have backed up for a few feet once or twice I prefer to follow the advice of Blue Ox and try not to do it too often. It takes maybe 90 seconds to unhitch so it's not a big deal if I ever need to back up for any distance.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I had no idea they were this popular with the RV Folks.

With that we should be able to Double the number of folks at Nationals:rolleyes:
Oh yeah buddy, apparently they are. I have only seen one in the wild so far. (not counting smart meets because that wasn't really in the wild) Hope to see more once I start my new job. Have a feeling I'll be seeing quite a few as soon as I start my new job. :rolleyes:

I was wondering just how taunt does the bungee cord need to be such as no slack versus really taunt
I use a 36". You could get away with 36"-40".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are you turning the key as far to the left as it will go? I've towed mine countless times in the past 2 years and it does not register on the odometer. Make sure that the ignition is really turned off - after a minute or two the dash display should be blank. If the display stays lit then you're not turning it off completely.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I was just about to mention that Dune. The Motorhome guide I mean. I had a couple 2010 guides dropped off to me at work Wednesday and noticed that the smart is listed at a recommended towing speed of 55mph. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just set up our smart car with roadmaster tow products.I also was told it was not necessary to disconnect the battery(WRONG ADVICE). As we were towing the car back home the breaks locked up. Smart car service told me this happened the ABS system sometimes sense's a problem and locks the breaks. With the battery disconnected this can not happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gosh, I just bought another Smart to tow behind my Allegro Bus instead of pulling a car hauler. You know the price of Diesel will give us an excuse to do strange things some times. I look forward to seeing some of you out on the road.

Msmoto

1 - 20 of 23 Posts