Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have towed my Smart for over 28K miles with no problems. I use a disconnect switch for the battery and cords around the steering wheel. Tow system is harbor freight tow bar and another 2" square tow bar attached to Smart. Purchased from another Smart owner and company that made the tow bar is not in business now. I bypass the electric lights and use the 4 way flat plug with bar attached with tow lights on back. Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Road surface Bicycle part Asphalt
Car Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
I also installed a Ready Brake breakaway system as I do not use a braking system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use the Roadmaster baseplate and the Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar. I installed a disconnect solenoid for the battery, the switch is under the service flap, so the car can be locked and unlocked with a second key (one key is in the ignition when towing). I also use diodes for the taillights, and a charging circuit that keeps the battery full while towing. We added the Ready Brake braking system and the Ready Stop emergency braking setup. A braking system is a legal requirement in many places. We also rig a bungee to the steering wheel. It was rather intensive to install everything listed, but it is very fast to connect or drop the car in use. To know if you need a bungee, try putting a ring of bright tape on the top of the steering wheel, then watch the the wheel in your rear view camera while driving. It is easy to detect oscillation this way.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Car

21 - 23 of 23 Posts