Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title suggests, is this oil really that much better than say...Mobil 1? I know everyone has faves and preferences, but again, will i see the results in any tangible way?:)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
I doubt you'd see any tangible difference between the two, but if you want real data, run a change interval with M1, send it to Blackstone, and look at the results. Rinse and repeat with your other oil of choice. Without hard data for your car in your driving environment, it's just a personal preference/semi-religious debate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Around $7.50 a quart for Amsoil full-saps MB 229.5 5w-40 is not that expensive

I'm a fan, and have drank the Kool-Aid for 30+ years

·
Registered
47 Posts
i used to run amsoil in my other cars but now i running Royal Purple HPS
in the smart with only 9500 miles on the clock.

i would say amsoil, royal purple or redline are the top three oils out there.
but with putting any good synthetic oil in your smart you can not go wrong.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...if Bob was an independent reviewer it'll be OK...but when he gets his bread buttered by Castrol oil then it looses all credibility...

Jetfuel...just saying....

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
...if Bob was an independent reviewer it'll be OK...but when he gets his bread buttered by Castrol oil then it looses all credibility...

People that Love Amsoil are all dealer's in that pyramid scheme...

Also Amsoil was ban from being used in Aviation 15 yeas ago, and still is ban... That kills it for me...

·
Registered
47 Posts

i have yet see anyone try and guide a topic on the forums, but hey everyone has an option.
just use the oil you feel confident to put in your engine and remember to do the preventive MX

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...you're so correct minis....
....any oil will do...but it is the change interval that dictates the longevity of the engine...

Jetfuel...unless I rev it up beyond its limits...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
...you're so correct minis....
....any oil will do...but it is the change interval that dictates the longevity of the engine...

Jetfuel...unless I rev it up beyond its limits...

+1 on that. I change mine every 5K, and I just passed 150K. Always used Mobil 1 0w-40. Never broken a seal on the engine either...

·
Registered
912 Posts
My somewhat-uneducated opinion is that Amsoil in general is good oil, but no way can it be the magical elixir that their published "tests" seem to suggest. The outrageous claims place it in the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" category. And it's expensive.

Royal Purple, and particularly Lucas, also seem to spend way too disproportionately much on marketing.

Book sez to use Mobil 1 ... past experience has found it to be a good product ... good enough for me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mobil 1 is a good oil but has fallen out of the position it once had in a lot of folk's eyes, because they changed the formulation of their base stock.

I switched from Mobil1 to PennzOil Premium 3 years, and have never gone back. Just browse around on the net or at BITOG and you will see what I mean...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
A million or so years ago, back in 1994, Motorcycle Consumer News magazine (it may have still been RoadRider mag back then), which does not accept any advertizing from anyone, and is thus pretty well completely unbiased, published a *VERY* interesting and educational article about motor oil...

Consumers Reports did a similar, multi-million mile oil torture test in 1997, using a fleet of taxicabs with freshly-rebuilt identical GM V-6 engines running various brands and grades of dino & synth oils...

Both should be required reading for anyone who owns a car.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Around $7.50 a quart for Amsoil full-saps MB 229.5 5w-40 is not that expensive
We should clarify that Amsoil does not actually appear on the MB 229.5 list, which may or may not be a consideration for some folks.

For those who are not particularly concerned with the 229.5 spec it is certainly a decent oil, though of course there are less (and more) expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
839 Posts
there are only three manufacturers of synthetic oil. everyone else buys the synthetic stock from them and adds their "additive package". all that being said the real data is in use. when i was a service mgr with a volvo dealer we had a customer with 500,000 miles on his car.....same engine, trans and rear end. you might say thats where the rubber meets the road or proof is in the pudding

·
Registered
105 Posts
As stated, AMSOIL is a pyramid scheme. They haven't invented anything any other chemists haven't already done. They've got the AMWAY style marketing scheme down pat though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As stated, AMSOIL is a pyramid scheme.
Really?
Definition: "A pyramid scheme is a business model that recruits members via a .promise of payments or services for enrolling others into the scheme, rather than supplying investments or sale of products or services. As recruiting multiplies, recruiting becomes quickly impossible, and most members are unable to profit; as such, pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal."
From Wikipedia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts