Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Lifetime Member
11,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've had this make it's way into other threads but I don't ever remember a whole thread devoted to it.

Even though I've had my car over a year, the last few days I've noticed this more and more. People HATE getting passed by me. Before every so often they had a problem, but now it seems like a daily occurrence.

Wednesday I passed an old lady in a car (Fusion) who was puttering along. 4 lane road, we were pretty much out in the middle of nowhere and she was doing 5 under the speed limit. When I passed her I was doing maybe 5 over. Before I knew it she was blasting past me! Now I had seen this little silver haired lady from quite a ways back and it wasn't like I was driving erratically and if anything I snuck up and passed her.

Yesterday was something similar but with an Escape hybrid same spot!

This morning was a riced out Civic 2dr. He had been doing 5 over the speed limit and I had kept a good 7 normal sized car distance behind him when he slowed down quite a bit for a light...no problem, sure he was coasting for mileage maybe. So I passed and went around, once again 4 lane road. About a mile up the road we turned and headed up a 35mph speed limit road. I'm staying with traffic at 55mph when he comes blasting by doing about 75mph. :eek: Same guy who earlier was doing the speed limit or a little over.

The wife and I have had a conversation about this everyday over the last few days on the way to work and our conclusion is people feel like they are getting passed by a "golf cart" and that is an insult in their mind.

The other day I did a search on "got passed by a Smart" and wow :eek:, a lot of people have posted about how they got passed by a Smart. Like we don't have real cars. Some were quite recent posts, I know some of us early adopters had all those people think they really were golf carts and I didn't help myself when I affixed EZ-GO emblems on my car after I pulled the Smart emblems. :p

What's your thoughts on why people consider it an insult? :confused:

· Banned
5,086 Posts
Just the other day I had a car run a red light and turn right in front of me. My first instinct was to blow my horn. :mad:

After I did, I realized it was an 'unmarked' Police car. :eek: He came to a complete stop in the next lane (on-coming traffic) and waited for me to pass him on his right. When I did, he tailgated me for about 2 miles, after which he pulled out and passed me, going about 20 mph over the speed limit.

At the next light, while he sat there in traffic, I had timed the light just right and passed him up while he was stuck behind a line of cars. :)

I could see in my rear view mirror that he was doing everything he could, short of flipping his lights and siren on, to get caught up to me, weaving in and out of traffic, but it was too late. I was jumping on the interstate and was long gone by the time he got to the ramp. :D

· Ex Admin/mod.
9,509 Posts
Perspective and ignorance. We must look like a glorified golf cart to most. Wouldn't the average driver be miffed being passed by a golf cart? I certainly would...
"Look, I am driving a REAL car!" Or "How dare you? Get out of my way, you little piece of... !"
Speed limit becomes irrelevant when preserving one's pride! :rolleyes:

· Registered
351 Posts
Don't like being passed by a smart.....

I know we've had this make it's way into other threads but I don't ever remember a whole thread devoted to it.

Even though I've had my car over a year, the last few days I've noticed this more and more. People HATE getting passed by me. Before every so often they had a problem, but now it seems like a daily occurrence.

Wednesday I passed an old lady in a car (Fusion) who was puttering along. 4 lane road, we were pretty much out in the middle of nowhere and she was doing 5 under the speed limit. When I passed her I was doing maybe 5 over. Before I knew it she was blasting past me! Now I had seen this little silver haired lady from quite a ways back and it wasn't like I was driving erratically and if anything I snuck up and passed her.

Yesterday was something similar but with an Escape hybrid same spot!

This morning was a riced out Civic 2dr. He had been doing 5 over the speed limit and I had kept a good 7 normal sized car distance behind him when he slowed down quite a bit for a light...no problem, sure he was coasting for mileage maybe. So I passed and went around, once again 4 lane road. About a mile up the road we turned and headed up a 35mph speed limit road. I'm staying with traffic at 55mph when he comes blasting by doing about 75mph. :eek: Same guy who earlier was doing the speed limit or a little over.

The wife and I have had a conversation about this everyday over the last few days on the way to work and our conclusion is people feel like they are getting passed by a "golf cart" and that is an insult in their mind.

The other day I did a search on "got passed by a Smart" and wow :eek:, a lot of people have posted about how they got passed by a Smart. Like we don't have real cars. Some were quite recent posts, I know some of us early adopters had all those people think they really were golf carts and I didn't help myself when I affixed EZ-GO emblems on my car after I pulled the Smart emblems. :p

What's your thoughts on why people consider it an insult? :confused:
I've had my car since last June, and by the 2nd day I had her I decided that most people think that small equals slow, no matter what the speedometer says! Most people don't like to be behind me, even if I'm doing 70-75 mph! In direct answer to your question, I agree! People don't like being passed by a smart, nor do they like to travel behind one!

· Registered
101 Posts
I pass poeple every day, well to all those Sunday drivers on the 60 freeway in the morning and afternoon Sorry but your in my way...:D Move Over.....

I also get these drivers in the other lane that want to shadow me.... I start passing them, and they see it's a Smart car then they gotta stay even with me for some reason. :confused:

· Registered
793 Posts
I have had lots of people on the highway speed up as I am about to pass them. I have had people check their speedo and do a double take.. its a ton of fun passing them while they think they are going faster than general traffic. Audi owners are especially peeved and almost insulted by my passing them for some reason. I guess its all part of the fun of driving my smarty

· Administrator
30,043 Posts
Yep, happens a lot now. Passed a lady in a Volvo Wednesday getting onto I-70 headed to the Indy meet. She did her best to keep up for about 20 miles until her exit. Just didn't like being passed by a smart (in a turn, no less) I guess. :confused:

· Registered
242 Posts
Surprised the heck out of me, passing people. I would say 4 out of 5 get upset in some form. I've had them speed up and cut me off on purpose. Speed up get in front then slow down. Many speed up and not let you to pass. Our Highway changes from 60 to 70 and passing people is the norm. Many don't usually know the speed limit opened up.

· Registered
30 Posts
I get it mostly when sitting at red lights with multiple straight lanes. The vehicle next to me HAS TO beat me off the line. I've seen a few people so interested in beating me off the line that they almost get into accidents.

The only part of it that annoys me is when these people then cut me off. Those are the times I wish I had my truck, because I certainly wouldn't be letting them in then.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Having grown up in the midwest, I remember that people on the interstates (mostly) stayed right except to pass. Here in the Pacific Northwest, for some reason, everyone has to be in the fast lane. Even if it's moving 15 mph slower than the right lane. So........every day going to work, I'm passing a LOT of cars. With no front end or back end, I'm also changing lanes frequently while I'm passing. By the time they realize that they're being passed, it's too late for them to do anything except watch me go by....or go bye-bye!! :) I'll make it through a lot of cars that are just poking along, until I've cleared all of them, and then I can continue on my way! The funny part is, it's not like I'm going 80 mph to do this. It's usually around 65 mph in a 60 mph zone. It's just that everyone gets backed-up together wanting to be in the "fast" lane! :confused: There are times when the far right lane is pretty much EMPTY!! :p

· Registered
2,006 Posts
i noticed the open right lane too. not always but definetly there. we were towing our timeout tent trailer out of town last weekend and passed many that way. down the road when things open up, a lot flew by me. but im legally doing 55, maybe 60. with a average 32 mpg (towing).

· Registered
11,903 Posts
One time I had just merdged onto the Highway in the smart and was up to speed when another smart came zipping up from behind and passed me like I was standing still. :jawdrop:

I thought to myself, Hey if he can go that fast so can I, so I floored it. :burnout:
Never did catch up to him but at that point a lot of folks were thinking "I not only got passed by a smart but another one going slower":frustration:

· Banned
5,086 Posts
Just didn't like being passed by a smart (in a turn, no less) I guess. :confused:
Excellent point! I've noticed that I can pass someone and they'll ride my A$$ forever.....that is until I come to a exit ramp or a sharp turn in on the interstate. THAT'S what separates the men from the boys! :eek:

I had a GMC 4x4 following me the other day into work, on my butt, but as soon as I turned off of I-70 East onto I-65 South on a sharp curve, he was left in my dust! I cornered it at about 70 and he was 'maybe' doing 50-55. NO CONTEST. :p

I'm sure he went on to work with his tail between his legs. :eek:

· Banned
5,086 Posts
I want to hit the Powerball, so I can do the Hayabusa mod and add an "oil slick" button like James Bond. :)

You need to think BIGGER! :confused:

If I hit the "PowerBall", I WILL BE James Bond, complete with a Silver/Silver Brabus, bullet-proof rear shield, knock-off spinner hubs that slice tires AND of course, an upgraded arsenal with AK-47s behind the head lamps and tail lamps along with an oil slick of Mobil 1 Synthetic coming from the tailpipe. :eek:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.