Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Cabrio since Feb 08 and it is an every day occurance of telling folks about the Smart. Even the biggest of guys say "It's so cute" Lots of pictures taken of it, with it. I've even let school kids do projects about it for class. I've let numerous people take it out for a drive to let them make their own decision. One couple in my small town has ordered one due to the one on one advertisement of it. It is lots of fun and very interesting to me. I'm looking to have three colors available for change out. I already have red and yellow.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
A common story, except for the extra panels. Try entering in some of the local auto shows. You'll get a ton of questions, and a lot of fun. Get some brochures from your dealer to hand out. It makes the questions go a little easier. I keep a bunch in the car just for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Here in central NJ, it is very rare that I am asked about my little car. It is not common here since it is very rare that I see another one.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Here in central NJ, it is very rare that I am asked about my little car. It is not common here since it is very rare that I see another one.
I am not questioned anywhere near as often as I used to be, and I hardly ever see another smart here either. I've come to the conclusion that, on my regular route and schedule, all who were curious enough to ask, already have. They're mostly on the same route & schedule and probably see my car several times a week. It's been a really long time since I spotted someone hanging out of their window taking a cell phone pix, or even giving me a thumbs up! Those were frequent in the beginning (Summer 2008)

When I break my routine though ... as in taking a little pleasure drive out of town, the questions often arise wherever I stop.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I get the questions quite often still. Didn't break the car out at all last week but the week before I had two teenage girls begging to check it out so I let them have a seat and even my wife got into telling them all about it. What was funny is they were talking about how neat the orange/copper one was or the aqua/green one with black wheels. I didn't mention they were sitting in the very same car.

As far as multi-colored panel swaps..

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I get the questions quite often still. Didn't break the car out at all last week but the week before I had two teenage girls begging to check it out so I let them have a seat and even my wife got into telling them all about it. What was funny is they were talking about how neat the orange/copper one was or the aqua/green one with black wheels. I didn't mention they were sitting in the very same car.

As far as multi-colored panel swaps..

·
Registered
946 Posts
We get an inquiry almost every time that we take the car out. They range from "Man, that's cute" to "You're going to get killed in that thing..."

Today, on the DVA hospital parking lot, I got two inquiries, one from a guy who walked about a third of the huge parking area to catch me as I was walking into the hospital.

On Sunday, we were trapped in a feeder road traffic jam on the Gulf Freeway/I-45, this with a new traffic light that has not yet been properly timed. During the twenty minute crawl up to the light, we were engaged in conversation by no less than five cars that would pass us on the right (traffic turning right on red at the light allowed that lane to move much faster). All of the questioners asked what kind of mileage we got. Most asked how much it cost. One asked how it handled on the highway. And, three asked about how worried we were about getting hit by _______ (fill in the blank).

I've got the PDF with the smart Fortwo information on it, but have never gotten around to printing them up. It would be easier than having to deal with some of the comments; give them a sheet of paper and move on.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
It seems people are disappointed on how 'low' the MPG is and thought it would be higher for such a small car. I tell them it is because of the safety equipement and the emission controls make it heavier than the European version which gets higher MPG.

I wonder how people would react if they see the Smart towing a small trailer or camper? :)
The Kite Buddy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I tell them it is because of the safety equipement and the emission controls make it heavier than the European version which gets higher MPG.
The Euro spec 451 gets 'better' mileage because a US gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon, and their equivalent of the EPA tests vehicles differently.

Edit: I get the EPA rating if I do 70-80 on the highway to work every day. I've managed to hit 51 highway from Providence, RI to Philadelphia feathering the gas between 50-60mph with no traffic (12AM-6AM).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It's interesting that from older adults I get the usual concerns about size and safety but form the teenagers and twenty-something's I get admiration and strong approval.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
It seems people are disappointed on how 'low' the MPG is and thought it would be higher for such a small car. I tell them it is because of the safety equipement and the emission controls make it heavier than the European version which gets higher MPG.

I wonder how people would react if they see the Smart towing a small trailer or camper? :)
The Kite Buddy.
On Facebook, I said the above but I was told that the Imperial gallon there is bigger than the gallon here; therefore, it showed a higher MPG. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,769 Posts
Imperial gallons are used in the UK and parts of the British Empire (including Canada.) Rest of the world is metric and uses liters. The good old USA still uses the "US customary system" gallon, which is equal to 3.785 liters. The Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts