Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New member here, anxiously awaiting my car........as we all are! Live in western Wisconsin, have no idea where I will be getting my car from. But I have heard some rumors that I want the answers to.....#1....only will use premium gas.......true or false? In my gut I think false, cuz who would want a car that takes premium. And #2.....because we are in the hinterlands of the US, we will be getting our car last. Anyone know?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Premium, yes. But, as has been mentioned, smaller but higher compression engines need premium to perform adequately.

Don't know about delivery of your car.

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
10 to 1 compression?

The other thread on the Mitsu engine says the USA engine will be 10:1 compression; or is that reversed - the turbo engine gets the 10:1 and the gasser gets the 11:1? Still confused in Dayton. :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think your dealer would be either in minneapolis or milwaukee. might be Bergsrom in Madison, it all depends on how far along they are and if smart stays in state borders for dealers. As far a premium gas, if you watch some stations have specials on premium gas on certain days or give you bonus points to some sort of frequent buyer program. as far as being in the hinterlands you are still getting your car from minneapolis, madison or milwaukee. I think it depends more on where your dealership is then where you are. you might want to check out some of the threads on Bergstrom

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
welcome bobarb....the word is that even if you don't have a SmartCenter in your area, is that Smart is still honoring the reservation by date and not location. So when did you place your $99 reservation? (that will tell when you''ll get yours)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Compression Ratio

The other thread on the Mitsu engine says the USA engine will be 10:1 compression; or is that reversed - the turbo engine gets the 10:1 and the gasser gets the 11:1? Still confused in Dayton. :confused:
I believe from previous posts on this forum it was discussed that the 10:1 compression ration engine is the one that has the turbo. The 11.4:1 compression ratio engine will be the one coming to the US as a naturally aspirated Mitsubishi 3 cyl engine (non-turbo) requiring 91 octane fuel. This was done, as mentioned, to increase the horsepower to acceptable levels for driving in the US.
Hope that helps.:)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Somebody on another thread is trying to spread the rumor that the US engine will be 10:1 compression to accept lower octane fuels. NOT TRUE. Worldwide, all the turbo Smart 451s are 10:1 and the normally aspirated 451 Smarts are 11.4:1. We get the 11.4:1 n/a engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts