Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an '09 Passion. The radio volume increases when I come to a stop or when I roll up the window. And the volume knob is completely out of control--it often moves up when I'm trying to dial it down.

Maybe the volume knob is junk. My biggest concern is how does the radio know the window is up, or that the car has stopped? THAT worries me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those radios are easy to change and dirt cheap. Just replace it. :)
Ugh. Found a dirt cheap radio on Amazon but it was NOT easy to change. Spent 25 bucks on a radio, 25 on a kit, and more on wire ties, ends, etc. After wrestling with stuff for hours, the radio wouldn't power up. Checked the power, checked the ground, checked the fuse plugged into the back of the unit--but it still wouldn't turn on. Sheesh.

Amazon is sending a replacement. Dashboard looks ugly with a big hole in it.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Was it a stock OEM smart radio?
Those are plug and play. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it a stock OEM smart radio?
No. If Smart radios are junk, couldn't see replacing it with another Smart radio.

The replacement arrived today and it doesn't power up either. Is there some trick to make the car communicate with an aftermarket receiver? (The last time I upgraded a radio was when Nixon was president. Yeah, it was an 8-track. Power in, ground, one speaker.)

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
You'll need a wiring harness to match the aftermarket radio to the smart plug. Probably an antenna adapter too. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
No. If Smart radios are junk, couldn't see replacing it with another Smart radio.

The replacement arrived today and it doesn't power up either. Is there some trick to make the car communicate with an aftermarket receiver? (The last time I upgraded a radio was when Nixon was president. Yeah, it was an 8-track. Power in, ground, one speaker.)
Does the replacement have a 8 track. I'll sell you my Bread, Guess Who, Tony Orlando, 8 track cassettes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the replacement have a 8 track. I'll sell you my Bread, Guess Who, Tony Orlando, 8 track cassettes.
Hahahaha! Nope, sorry. In fact, the second replacement radio was also DOA. It would light up briefly as it was plugged in, but just wouldn't fire. Stuck the stock radio back in tonight. Even a possessed radio will give me traffic reports. Y'see, I work on Cape Cod, which is served by TWO bridges totaling four lanes each way--same as in 1935 when the bridges were built. More cars, though, than in Gradpap's day, and it doesn't take much for a Bimbo in a Beemer to blockade one of them. Heck, last Memorial Day there was a 35-mile backup.

But to get back on topic, apparently you have to spend more than 25 bucks to get a decent radio these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts