Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A truly loaded question. Peace of mind concerning the battery even though it adds up in cost over the years. Trying to live as debt free as possible. Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Depends on what your crystal ball says about how big the risk of a battery problem is. Then do the math:

Additional cost of BAP over the 10year - $5k
Out-of-warranty battery replacement - $20k (or more depending on which rumor you follow)
Not having to worry about it - priceless

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I decided to find the battery part number for a VIN I just happened to have stored in EPC, from a '14, or at least delivered January 7, 2014, it seems:

I went to a site that I just placed an order with to see if I could get pricing on a battery for this particular smart... Drum roll please.....

MB Parts USA | Genuine Mercedes Benz Parts and Accessories

Not sure if you'll get a completely dead battery, but decrease in capacity is possible......

(My wife's '13 C-MAX Energi notes 16 miles range, albeit in the colder weather we've been having, when it used to say around 20 miles IIRC.)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Right or wrong, enough to give pause to those who own ED "complete" beyond the 4 year warranty period?

But, after 2 years and software updates our EPA 68 mile range has moved up to a consistent 72-75 miles when temperatures are above 65 degrees.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Additional cost of BAP over the 10year - $5k
Out-of-warranty battery replacement - $20k

$5K? Wouldn't it be 120 * $84.80 or $10,176?

But even if it was only $5k, it is not a good deal. The probability of needing a pack replacement over 10 years is probably much less than .25. So at a minimum it is overpriced insurance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, before you get a $5k discount off the purchase price.
That leaves a $5k difference, assuming zero interest earned on the $5k up front (which isn't unreasonable in todays money market).
You assume that we bought the car new, though.

I bought my car used.

Based on when I started making BAP payments, and knowing that the battery buy out price drops 1% per month after the 5-year mark (confirmed this several times with MBFS), if I buy the pack out just before the lease ends I'll have paid (using $85/mo as the basis for BAP payment) $7565 since 5/2015 and will pay around $2400 to keep whatever (original or new) pack is in my car. That works out to just under $10k. So no matter what, it's half the price of a new pack. If you manage to get a replacement in that time period (and with the rate I tick up miles, and my nature of things failing spectacularly, it's a strong possibility I will) it's an even better deal. Otherwise I'll have paid a total of $22k for my convertible Smart, and have driven it 8 years.

Also BAP is a capacity guarantee -- 81% or they replace it. Given the degradation rate of water-cooled EVs is still fairly unknown (Tesla replaces drivetrained and batteries so often in their cars it's hard to tell if that 80k mile pack is original or was it replaced 20k ago), and we're going to be one of the test-beds for it, being one of the first out (along with the Focus and Tesla Model S). I'm seeing 100k Teslas in the 30s that still have 90% health, so, there's that.

I don't consider this a bad proposition, and I'm optimistic that I will one day be able to buy a new replacement pack straight from Tesla or Kreisel Electric, or perhaps even Delphi. The market for adding capacity to older, still functional, EVs haven't even started yet. It took about 5-7 years before we saw this market for the Prius and Insight hybrids, and there is no shortage of reman batteries for all Hybrids today. I figure around 2020, I'll decide if I want to buy or replace the pack. I am also keeping my eye on insurance auctions, if I can snag a whole car with (paid off, after accident) pack for $2k... well, I'm a gambling man. If nothing else I now have a very low-cost Tesla PowerWall.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Based on when I started making BAP payments, and knowing that the battery buy out price drops 1% per month after the 5-year mark (confirmed this several times with MBFS), if I buy the pack out just before the lease ends I'll have paid (using $85/mo as the basis for BAP payment) $7565 since 5/2015 and will pay around $2400 to keep whatever (original or new) pack is in my car. That works out to just under $10k. So no matter what, it's half the price of a new pack.
Great CSI work!

I have read the BAP agreement ad nauseam and have never seen the clause reading - "the battery buy out price drops 1% per month after the 5-year mark." :shrug:

Good catch, does the 5-year countdown to discount begin with the sled + battery "in service date" or the beginning of the new owners BAP agreement with MBFS?

·
17,476 Posts
BAP is great for the 1st owner, though as we've seen here a few times already, can be a complete disaster when it gets dumped on an unsuspecting 2nd owner who wasn't told they'd have to be making payments on a car they just paid in full for. :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
On the new replacement battery cost, I was told the new replacement was on the order of $7k to $8k. Not sure what those other 2 $23k numbers allude to, but the middle $8k number makes sense. THough I doubt we'll ever need one, unless we total the car, and then it's totaled anyhow...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The middle number is the core charge. You get that back when you return the old battery. What I'm not sure about is whether the reconditioned price already includes this core charge, or you have to add it. Also, for the new battery at the bottom, maybe no core charge/return applies at all?...

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
If/when the first person facing a $29,720 (+HazMat shipping and R&R LABOR) bill writes that check perhaps they will post to The Forum?

Until then, even though supported by MBParts, it remains an Urban Legend.

Personally, if/when that were to happen you will be looking at a DEAD ED being pushed rather precariously along the edge of a very steep cliff . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts