Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I managed to back my Smart into a concrete barrier today, leaving some ugly scratches on the fender. :(

My question is, is there a recommended way for minimizing this cosmetic damage (short of replacing the panel)? My instinct is to just start rubbing the scratches with a damp cloth, but if there's a trick to doing it well (or if doing that will only make it look worse) I'd rather know that beforehand.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...yep...deep enough...
...start with with a soap and water with a towel....very light pressure at first to remove the dirt and "sand"...always clean...rub with the scratches....never across them...

Jetfuel...let us know how it does...

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
Had some pretty deep scuffs on the back of my car, (Black) and I used a headlight refinishing kit I had left over from one of my other cars. It did a good job. My scuffs were more on a flat surface so they really showed up big time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fender scratches

Next time you wax it, try using plain old corn starch. Apply wax like normal and while you are waiting for it to dry dip your finger in corn starch and flick it on the wax. Once wax is dry buff off like normal. Wont totally fix them however it will mask them. Did this to a running board on my Mustang that had a deep scuff. Ancient Detailers secret>:D

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
I had a leftover headlight polishing kit from polishing the lights on another car so I figured I'd try it. Black is a molded in color so I wasn't worried about going too deep, but I kept it pretty light, just enough to take out the scratches. Not too sure about the lower skirt. but at least it is shiny now. Only took about 15 min to do.

Have a few more scratches to do yet. But with 115,000 miles, you got to expect a few marks I guess.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine is blue and I have some rash on the passenger side rear fender.... Gonna give your idea a go and see if it removes them. My scratches aren't nearly as deep as yours was so hopefully it will work.

Thx!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Bondo on a plastic panel?? I would think the flexing of the panel would make the bondo fall off.
It will. You don't want to use Bondo.

I would highly recommend this: System 51 It is THE BOMB!!!:D

I recently painted my project truck, and used System 51 for the cut and buff on the clear coat, all I can say is WOW!

Here is the basic process:

Star with the cut, use 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper. Don't buy the cheap Walmart stuff, get some good 3M, or my favorite, Klingspore paper. Wet sand the area. Make sure you keep it wet. Elbow grease is your friend!

Move onto 2000 grit wet or dry, again keep it wet.

Once it's smoothed out, move on to the System 51 Pro-cut with the wool pad. Buff the paint to a shine, then do the same with the foam pad, Voila! Perfect paint.

Want proof? Here is the passenger side quarter panel on my truck:

This is the reflection in the panel after the wool pad. I hadn't done the final buff with the foam pad yet!

Here's another one to give you a better idea:

The stuff works, and it's water based, so cleanup is super easy.

BTW, I have no affiliation with this company, I just love their product...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts