Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a very nice older couple who are selling their 2017 Smart Cabrio, asking $13,900, it has about 23,000 miles. The car is badged as an AMG on back and has an AMG decal on the doors. I cannot find any information that AMG ever worked with Smart. I was able to find that AMG had contemplated working with them after Brabus did, but it appears from my research that nothing came of the discussions. The wheels are also the basic Smart wheels and the tire size is 15", if it were a true AMG wouldn't the tires be larger, the wheels fancier and perhaps some carbon fiber body modifications? Let me know what you folks think, I'm certainly no expert and will defer to you folks. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
All that matters is do you like it?
Is the price right even if it isn't an "AMG" ?
Chances are good it isn't.
Ask the couple if they could take a picture of the small triangle badge area just in front of the outside mirrors.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In today's market for a 453 CONVERTABLE??????
So few 453 cabriolets were imported there aren't many around.
It's not going to hang around long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that matters is do you like it?
Is the price right even if it isn't an "AMG" ?
Chances are good it isn't.
Ask the couple if they could take a picture of the small triangle badge area just in front of the outside mirrors.
Good Luck
Will do, thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much. I actually obtained the build sheet from the seller and "vehicle master inquiry", which is marked for "internal use only" and the vehicle actually is an AMG build!!! The option P99 is listed and described as "AMG SIGNATURE S". This vehicle may be a prototype.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,030 Posts
INTERESTING if that’s what the “build sheet” says!

Don’t think that I have ever seen an AMG with hubcaps???

I’d be curious as to what is “AMG” beyond the badging?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INTERESTING if that’s what the “build sheet” says!

Don’t think that I have ever seen an AMG with hubcaps???

I’d be curious as to what is “AMG” beyond the badging?
I'm kind of computer illiterate. I'll have my wife post the build sheet here tomorrow. I'm curious too. I wonder if the original wheels were "pillaged" from the car and cheapo's put in their place.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks so much. I actually obtained the build sheet from the seller and "vehicle master inquiry", which is marked for "internal use only" and the vehicle actually is an AMG build!!! The option P99 is listed and described as "AMG SIGNATURE S". This vehicle may be a prototype.
WOW. Nice score and a cabriolet (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,030 Posts
The badging on the tailgate is odd - nothing that I’d expect from AMG?

One owner, purchased from whom and pedigree (window sticker)?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I n't know if the window sticker is included in the paperwork, this sheet was though. The whole thing is weird. The wheels have been swaped out with basic ones. I really don't know what I'm getting, but the car looks fun and I'm happy. More to come.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

If vin number matches.
If it's legit a Factory Build/Broadcast Sheet trumps any window sticker hands down.
No Question
He may have a unicorn!!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I n't know if the window sticker is included in the paperwork, this sheet was though. The whole thing is weird. The wheels have been swaped out with basic ones. I really don't know what I'm getting, but the car looks fun and I'm happy. More to come.
Maybe some resident Auto article writer person will come by and help you research the correct wheels that should be on the car.
Good Luck and no doubt you'll keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts