Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,034 Posts
He may have a unicorn!!!
Build sheet confirmation qualifies this smart fortwo as having been “built an AMG Unicorn” but we have no idea what that means??

Was it delivered with Tri-star badging, who knows? What mods were done to engine, suspension or tranny by AMG?

At the end of the day seems more questions than answers.

If Warren N likes it he should enjoy it knowing that he has what appears to be a one off smart, UNICORN!

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
This one is an interesting challenge. There was never an official public-facing relationship between smart and AMG. The smart tuning house was and still is Brabus.

A Vehicle Master Inquiry is a tool that a MB dealership has to not only pull the vehicle's option list, but services and repairs done to it through MB dealerships as well.

Option code P99 for Mercedes-Benz is "AMG SIGNATURE SERIES / BLACK SERIES" and is generally slapped on the Mercedes SL AMG Black Series. Directly below P99 are codes for alloy wheels and fabric upholstery.

Visually, this car has the wheels of a pure, but the interior and LED lighting options from a passion or better. Those side skirts appear to come from Smart Power Design, here:

According to the VMI and a typical VIN decoder, it sounds like it's supposed to have the Sport Package, which gives the car some cool alloy wheels, a slightly lowered suspension, and steering wheel shift paddles.

What do the stickers on the triangles on the mirrors say? I bet that the MB VMI does not have codes for smart, and P99 for smart is probably something like "Sport Package". Either way, it's a good price, but I'd negotiate the dealership lower because it has the wrong wheels.

Reactions: MB DNA

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This one is an interesting challenge. There was never an official public-facing relationship between smart and AMG. The smart tuning house was and still is Brabus.

A Vehicle Master Inquiry is a tool that a MB dealership has to not only pull the vehicle's option list, but services and repairs done to it through MB dealerships as well.

Option code P99 for Mercedes-Benz is "AMG SIGNATURE SERIES / BLACK SERIES" and is generally slapped on the Mercedes SL AMG Black Series. Directly below P99 are codes for alloy wheels and fabric upholstery.

Visually, this car has the wheels of a pure, but the interior and LED lighting options from a passion or better. Those side skirts appear to come from Smart Power Design, here:

According to the VMI and a typical VIN decoder, it sounds like it's supposed to have the Sport Package, which gives the car some cool alloy wheels, a slightly lowered suspension, and steering wheel shift paddles.

What do the stickers on the triangles on the mirrors say? I bet that the MB VMI does not have codes for smart, and P99 for smart is probably something like "Sport Package". Either way, it's a good price, but I'd negotiate the dealership lower because it has the wrong wheels.
So what credence is given to the build sheet or broadcast sheet ?
What exactly are you saying is it an amg or not? Wheels may have gotten damaged and if they're one off you have no other choice but to replace it with something else.

I believe it's a done deal.

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
So what credence is given to the build sheet or broadcast sheet ?
What exactly are you saying is it an amg or not? Wheels may have gotten damaged and if they're one off you have no other choice but to replace it with something else.

I believe it was for sale by private owner and I think it's a done deal.
I don't think it's an AMG.

The VMI build sheet appears to be accurate, but the descriptions for the option codes may be misleading. Option P99 for smart may be "Sport Package" but if the VMI only pulls option code descriptions for Mercedes-Benz, then you get "AMG SIGNATURE SERIES / BLACK SERIES".

I could reach out to MB a little later today (busy morning) and see if its reps can provide me with an option code list for smart. That would definitely confirm it. Granted, even without the wheels it's a decent price.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
The OEM, build sheet from the smartville factory, is going to show it’s a Pure Cabrio. Same as the window sticker vin number. The vin number on the dash board too, and B pillar sticker. You can go to any smart/MB dealership. Give them the vin number. A AMG smart car never left the factory.

Pontiac, teamed up with Fiat. To build this special edition.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
87 Posts
I'm with Miss Mercedes that the sheet is pulling MB not SMART codes, why would it have South Africa build codes for example? Looks like a nice car, but needs some proper wheels on it and a de-badge. In this market, I have no idea if the asking price is appropriate or too high.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
87 Posts
I'll definetly keep you guys posted. Once the car gets here, it's going right to Mercedes-Benz of Naples. Bottom line is I'm tickled with it, so happy to find exactly what we wanted right down to the color!!!!
and congratulations, it does look like a nice car aside from the stickers.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'll definetly keep you guys posted. Once the car gets here, it's going right to Mercedes-Benz of Naples. Bottom line is I'm tickled with it, so happy to find exactly what we wanted right down to the color!!!!
And at the end of the day after the hope the bickering the bantering. You summed it up great. You found exactly what you wanted right down to the color and that's all that's important. Good luck with your car take care.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,782 Posts
The OEM, build sheet from the smartville factory, is going to show it’s a Pure Cabrio. Same as the window sticker vin number. The vin number on the dash board too, and B pillar sticker. You can go to any smart/MB dealership. Give them the vin number. A AMG smart car never left the factory.

View attachment 67125

View attachment 67125

View attachment 67125
The first new version Fiat 500 came to America in 2007. Pontiac went out of business after the 2002 model year. I don't think this modded 500 was done under Pontiac's blessing.

·
3,782 Posts
A lot of auto manufacturer's do up special editions for various parts of the country. Dodge or now Ram, comes to mind with various "Southwest" editions and "Texas" editions. Maybe a smart dealer did a few "AMG" editions for their part of the country. It would interesting to find out who the dealer was and give them a call and ask about their "AMG" smart model.

·
3,782 Posts
I just looked at the black Fiat 500 again. The white 500 in the background on ramps is fitted for a European plate. Not even an American Fiat dealer.

·
3,782 Posts
Looking again at the 453 in question. It appears to have black/orange interior. Didn't the Pure come only in black cloth? That would mean this car is either a Passion or Prime. If I remember the 453 models correctly.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts