Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in deep southern Texas right on the border with Mexico and it's still mid 90's most days. Last night we had a cold snap for us anyway, :) and this morning it is 50 degrees. My 2016 ED has only 5200 miles on it and it works great. I was just surprised that last night the battery was at 89%. With this cold weather the battery is only showing 69% so a full 20 point drop. Is it normal for cooler weather to effect the battery to that degree. Was just surprised.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually it's a bit unusual that it's been that mutch. But still, It wouldn't be to scared by it, as it's nothing to implausible either.

If you are interested, Ive written down here why the state of charge can drop over night.

As long as it's not going to keep dropping by 20% each night, I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not what I expected but just checked again. Temp back up to mid 60's and soc up to 86% so I guess temp can have a bigger effect on battery than expected. I have an OVM vehicle module so I can monitor it from my phone. This is the first time it's been colder, at least colder for Texas. I am from South Dakota. I wonder what effect 30 below 0 would have on the battery. Not going to keep my Smart much longer anyway. If there was a somewhat reasonable solution if the main battery dies I would probably keep it forever. I have a friend with an older Nissan Leaf and he had his battery replaced and it was around $4000.00, not from Nissan but from a company that specializes in electric vehicles. For me it's just a matter of time before the battery gets bricked or dies on it's on so not worth it as I normally keep a car a long time. I love the car and it was kind of a fun experiment but not for me long term. I have a prius also that gets 50 plus miles per gallon and I think that's a better way to go.

·
Registered
927 Posts
We have left our ED outside overnight with temps into the higher 20's and have only seen about a 3% SOC drop. At times during the summer, the SOC will also drop 1% every so often as the car is parked.

We've never seen the SOC go up without actually charging the car. We have had it sitting outside on our driveway in the freezing cold, then drove it 20 feet into our garage where it can be 20 degrees F warmer and the SOC has never gone up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I am using the ovms module to check battery and not actually in the car on the gauge maybe it was a blip with the module. It's going to be even a little colder this evening so will see if the same thing happens.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I love the car and it was kind of a fun experiment but not for me long term. I have a prius also that gets 50 plus miles per gallon and I think that's a better way to go.

You got it right Ricky, dump that dog before you end up crying yourself to sleep. It's one of those dirty little secrets they don't want you to ever find out about. That's why most do not buy but lease the electrics cause they be dying before they even leave the factory. 3 years lease and then get the h ell out of it.

If you cannot keep your batteries above 50 degrees at all times it's a fools game to ever get involved in the new racket. The only reason we even have electric in America is because they are mandated to produce them. It's a feel good bulls--t spin to make it appear it's all about something. Electric vehicles date back to the late 19th century and battery technology died in the 1960's in other words it has no where to go.

Stay with your hybrid you got the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You hit the nail on the head and that’s exactly how I feel. Prius forever. Nothing more reliable than a Toyota anyway. To own a car that’s electric that the battery replacement cost way more than the car if you can even get it is the definition of insanity . I am not an environmentalist in anyway. I just love technology and thought it would be fun to have but not worth the chance of large financial loss.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Ricky, understand this it's something I failed to mention. If the batteries die in the Prius you cannot operate solely on the gas engine for more than a few miles or you run the risk of damage. Purposely design that way of course. The average length of car ownership in America has now risen to 10 years and it's hurting the industry. They all want you in a new car within 5 years.

But that doesn't mean hybrid isn't a good idea, because it's truly the one affordable way to get those high gas figures and no need for a wall outlet. And it shine in stop and go traffic, this new crap with the auto shut-off and restart at the light will prove in the end to be just another attempt to kill your car off early to get you into a new one. One of the biggest strains on an engine is when you start it. (thankfully most of the cars with it can be turned off)

Never, ever let 'environmentalist' dictate laws, you end up with wealthy States like California on fire.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. Got down even colder last night and no change. It was still same so I am guessing the 20 point drop didn't happen and it was a problem with my ovms module that remotely monitors battery condition. Still no longer want the car. Now hopefully will have luck with someone who wants one.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
Yes, BEVs do see a drop in colder temps. There are variables such as which Li-Ion chemistry is being used and the design of the pack, but there is some impact and it is more noticeable on EVs with smaller packs.

Regardless, I have a couple EVs with their energy needs offset by solar along with my house and I expect that once the lease is up on a crossover ICE, that will be the last ICE I ever purchase. The technology will only get better from here. Cell phones, TVs, LED lighting, they all get better and cheaper with time and EVs will be no different.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you’re going to only have battery operated vehicles you must not go on long vacations

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question is always yes where is the electricity coming that’s charging Electric vehicles? We are a long long ways away from getting all our power from wind and sun. Just my opinion. Cars are cleaner than they’ve ever been and I think will see ice cars around for a long long time. To each his own but for me nuts to electric vehicles

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
P.P.S. Mods: If you want to move these OT posts to a new thread, I would't be opposed. My apologies for going way OT.
Hopefully the OP got an answer to the original topic......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you’re going to only have battery operated vehicles you must not go on long vacations
People go on vacations in EV's like Teslas or Chevy Bolts or Hyundai Konas all the time. There are also ways of getting arond that dont involve a car (or plane) at all. I've vacationed to Glacier National Park and the Oregon Coast by train - using a car for only short sightseeing drives at the destination.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
People go on vacations in EV's like Teslas or Chevy Bolts or Hyundai Konas all the time. There are also ways of getting arond that dont involve a car (or plane) at all. I've vacationed to Glacier National Park and the Oregon Coast by train - using a car for only short sightseeing drives at the destination.
You are correct but I love taking long driving vacations to really see the country. Just a difference of how we like to travel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts